The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 06:34:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Aperture
| | |-+  Recogniznig DNG files from Fujifilm .RAF raw files
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recogniznig DNG files from Fujifilm .RAF raw files  (Read 7559 times)
Peter T.

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »

I am having a problem in creating DNG files from my .RAF raw files (created by my Fujifilm FinePix E-900 camera) that Aperture 3 will recognize.  When I try to import these DNG files into Aperture, Aperture states that they are a "Unsupported Image Format".  The DNG files are recognized correctly in Adobe software (Photoshop CS4, Bridge, Lightroom 3) but not by any Apple software (including Aperture 3.0.3).

I've used Adobe DNG Converter 6.1, Photoshop CS4, and Lightroom 3 to create these non-linear DNG files.  As a point of reference, I've used the same settings to create DNG files from Kodak .KDC raws files that Apple also doesn't support, but these DNG files (created from the .KDC raw files) show up just fine in Aperture 3.

The one thing I find unusual about the .DNG files created from the Fujifilm FineFix E-900 .RAF raw files (and from the .RAF raw files themselves) is that when I do a 'Get Info' on these files, the image dimensions of these files always shows up as 0 x 0.  (The image dimensions should be listed as 3488 x 2616, which is correctly shown when I open up these files with my Adobe software (including Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS4)

So I'm wondering what is causing these DNG files (from .RAF raw files) not to be recognized by Aperture 3.  I thought Aperture 3 supported all non-linear DNG files.

Any ideas?  Any solutions to this problem?

Peter T.

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:20:08 AM »

Peter,
Does Aperture support the RAF file prior to conversion to DNG?
What if you try various levels of backward compatibility in the DNG converter?
Make sure to hang on to your raw files until this is worked out (or make sure to embed them).
Peter
Peter T.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:58:57 AM »

Hi Peter,

No, neither the Mac OS (10.6.4) nor Aperture 3 support the .RAF raw files from this camera (Fujifilm FinePix E900), but Aperture does support .RAF raw files from other Fujifilm cameras (like the the FinePix S2 Pro, S3 Pro, and S5 Pro).  I've tried all the levels of backward compatibility available in the raw converters (Adobe DNG Converter and Lightroom 3) but none of those DNG files were readable by Aperture.

What's puzzling is that I had success in converting my Kodak .KDC raw files from my Kodak EasyShare P-850 camera into DNG files that are readable by Aperture.  KDC raw files on their own are not readable by Aperture either, but when I convert them into DNG files then Aperture can read them.

But no such luck with my Fujifilm .RAF files from my FinePix E900 camera.

On thing I have read researching this issue is that Aperture 3 does not support DNG files that have lens correction data in them.  I'm not sure if my .RAF files contain lens correction data or not.

Peter T.

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 10:00:12 AM »

Peter,
It could be the lens correction data, but I'm guessing that Apple has just not yet built the logic to deal with the backwards compatibility issues that DNG 1.3 and the Opcodes address.  In the absence of that logic, I'm guessing that Apple is simply ignoring DNGs with certain attributes.

Peter

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: