The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 07:09:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Expression or Portfolio or ... something else for 50k+ images DAM needs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Expression or Portfolio or ... something else for 50k+ images DAM needs  (Read 4000 times)
andycollings

View Profile Email
« on: July 01, 2010, 08:16:35 AM »

I've been using Lightroom for several years and while it's great for certain things, it's become unwieldy/slow now that I've got so many images. And my step-brother and technical editor of the DAM Book, Michael Stewart, has told me I'm overdue for a DAM switch to something that will better suit my needs.
I'll do my initial metadata and selections in PhotoMechanic, adjust the images in Lightroom (with a catalog specific for the job), and then will want to put the dngs into a more robust cataloging application. Here are my needs:
-have to be able to have multiple catalogs open at once
-have to be able to browse 10's of 1000's of images (ideally 100's of 1000's)
-have to be able to view dng/cr2/nef/psd/jpeg
-ideally I'd like the catalogs to be able to be opened on different computers, saved, and then be able to be reopened on other computers; don't need same catalog open on different computers at same time
-need basic and smart sets ability within catalog
-don't want major keyword hassles migrating from Lightroom 3
-ideally, the ability for the cataloging program to scan a hard drive for new images matching certain specified keywords. Since my weddings, corporate work, studio portraits are all on the same hard drives, I'd like to be able to have a smart initial and then incremental import of new images based on my Intellectual Genre field

Thanks in advance!
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »

50k images is not big. I regularly work with a 250k catalogue and have heard of others nearly 50% bigger.

Have you optimised your catalogue recently? It's something you should do regularly. Also increase the size of the Camera Raw cache.

John
andycollings

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 11:03:56 AM »

Thanks John. I optimize it regularly and it's a fast machine but it's pokey. And there is till the issue of needing multiple catalogs open at the same time. I just don't think LR is viable as the image count grows.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 03:00:35 PM »

Andy,
Might there be a way to split current work and older work into two catalogs?  This would let you use a faster, smaller catalog for recent stuff.  This is a good approach, even if you are going to use separate applications.

You might want to try Expression Media and see how you like it.
Peter
steve soper

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:04:22 AM »

This may not matter here but you should be aware that as of 25 May 2010, Phase One acquired EM2 from Microsoft. MSFT will no longer support EM2 after 25 August 2010.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: