The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 07:07:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Organizing Family Photgraphs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Organizing Family Photgraphs  (Read 3070 times)
badfrog88
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:42:03 AM »

After discovering a lot of older family photographs missing I decide to try to get things organized and cataloged. I'm currently reading "The DAM Book". but it seems to be geared more to the professional photographer, which makes sense. I'm just trying to put it to work for a family situation.

I'm in the process of having my remaining negatives digitized for archival purpose and scanning photographs I can't find negatives for. I also have jpeg files from a point & shoot camera my wife has. I just recently purchased a Nikon D90 dSLR and plan on shooting RAW. This will mean I will have a mix of jpeg and RAW originals.

My computer is a gaming laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. I haven't purchased any software yet, but I do have an old copy of Photoshop CS2 and Graphic Workshop (I've used this in the past to do batch file conversions). I also have the software that came with my camera.  I also have two external drives currently: a Western Digital 1TB MyBook USB and a Western Digital 1TB WorldBook NAS. I have downloaded trial versions of LR3 and EM, along with some other software that is mentioned in the book. I'm thinking that most of the files will most likely go straight to archive, but I'm not sure.  In order to Keep It Simple I'll only have the files accessible from the one computer. I also plan on burning DVDs.

I would also like to be able to somehow distinguish the photographs my wife takes from the ones I take. I'm thinking using our initials as part of the file name, would this be the best route?

If there is a suggested workflow I could follow that is in the book a page reference would be greatly appreciated. I want to make use of keywords along with geotagging.

Any suggestions on how to best accomplish this?  When is the best point to convert to DNG and is this something I should do with the jpegs?

Thanks,

Kent
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 11:39:18 AM »

Kent,
I'd suggest doing the whole thing in Lightroom, if it supports the files you have.
Peter
badfrog88
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:14:10 PM »

Thanks for the prompt reply, Peter.

By "supports" do you mean file type? All I currently have is jpeg. I am planning on shooting in RAW/NEF with my new camera.

This brings up another question... If I want to do any editing to my jpeg files, should I convert them to tiff or something first?

Kent
badfrog88
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »

I forgot to mention that I did purchase ImageIngester also.

Kent
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 03:02:33 PM »

Kent,
If you do the work in Lightroom (and I think that's the right approach for you), I'd keep the JPEGs as JPEGs.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: