The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 08:38:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  dpBestflow.org Discussions
| | |-+  Batch Output Workflow - Where did DNG conversion happen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Batch Output Workflow - Where did DNG conversion happen?  (Read 3697 times)
timhoke

View Profile Email
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »

It was mentioned in the general topic on dpBesflow (http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=4412.msg25518#msg25518), but I think this question deserves it's own attention...

After watching the videos, I came to the validation point and really had a head scratcher when it came to running the DNG converter to validate... I thought to myself, when did we get DNG's?  So I watched the videos again.  Nope, no DNG conversion.  As Peter mentioned in the other thread, DNG conversion usually happens right before going to archive.  But that step is clearly omitted from the videos.

I think I understand that there simply should be a DNG conversion step prior to the sync to archive, but I'd like to have Peter revisit this topic and chime in.

Thanks
-Tim
P.S. This is particularly important to me as I've moved up from an original Digital Rebel to a 7D... and my Adobe CS3 is old enough to not support the CR2's my 7D shoots... So I'm looking at modifying my workflow (and possibly software).  So my IIP, Bridge, EM2 workflow might just be done.
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 12:55:59 AM »

Peter will give a much better reply, but his standard practice (outlined in the books and on the forum here) is for creating "buckets" which are sub-folders within a "Transfer Me" folder in his Working files directory, that are named and numbered sequentially. The "Transfer Me" folder is the next-to-last folder in his Working Files system, right after the last folder for a general processing step. When he completes his general work with a folder of files (a job, shoot, or project) he moves the whole folder of files into a "bucket" sub-folder in that "Transfer_Me" folder.

When he has enough data in a "bucket" so it will all fit on and at least nearly fill one Blu-Ray disc, he then:
- burns the optical Blu-Ray disc;
-copies with validation the "bucket" folder and all contents to a "landing" folder on his Archive system;
-when the transfer is shown as "validated", he moves that bucket in the "Transfer Me" folder to the "Transferred" folder;
-moves the bucket in the Archive's "Landing_Zone" folder to it's normal "place in line";
-runs a fresh back-up of his Archive system;
-at some point later, when time and space allow, deletes the bucket from the "Transferred" folder back on his Working files system.

I hope this is clear, and Peter doesn't need to do too much quibbling with the way I've listed things!

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:53:22 AM »

Tim,
I'll go back and check.  It's possible that the DNG conversion step is omitted from the video.

To answer the question, you can convert on download or later - depends on a number of things - workflow, toime available, what you are comfortable archiving, etc.  In a case like you outline - using CS3 with a newer camera, then DNG conversion would happen earlier -on download, I'd suggest.

However, I'd say that you are not getting the full value from your camera if you are using it with CS3. You should consider a Photoshop upgrade or perhaps using Lightroom for raw file conversion.
Peter

timhoke

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »

However, I'd say that you are not getting the full value from your camera if you are using it with CS3. You should consider a Photoshop upgrade or perhaps using Lightroom for raw file conversion.
Peter

Yep, this is why I'm reviewing the book (for the umteenth time) and looking at dpbestflow... I'm trying to decide what to do with my work flow.  I didn't consider file compatibility with my existing software and therefore, forgot to budget for a software upgrade when I upgraded the camera.  Rather than hash out software/workflow options in this thread, I'm going to start another thread.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: