The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 06:53:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Bridge or Lightroom?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bridge or Lightroom?  (Read 3601 times)
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:58:11 PM »

What are the pluses and minuses of using Adobe Bridge CS5 versus Lightroom 2/3 for ingesting photos (and video) from a DSLR?

Joe
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 01:32:31 PM »

It depends on 1) how MANY photos you shoot and manage and 2) do you have any other DAM app that you use?

1) For those that shoot a few pics now and then, using a "simple" browser like Bridge to see and work on your collection is fine, I know several that do this handily. Your needs with a smaller number of images in total to manage, and in bringing only a few new images "in" at a time, make a browser with processing capabilities (ACR within Bridge) all you need. You can do your initial metadata work, even take the images to ACR through Bridge to adjust the look of the images, and be able to view it later from within either Bridge or CS5. But if you shoot more in terms of "giggage" than that, you probably need a more complete way to "see" your image and to handle/process them for ratings, tags, metadata, that sort of thing.

2) If you've got another program that is DAM-capable (such as iView/EM2 or idImager) and use LR as simply a way to do initial processing on your files for their "look" or whatnot, Bridge/ACR would probably work fine.

But if you've got a collection of images that is of any significant size, a database-based application like Lightroom is vastly more capable of tracking your images than Bridge is (Bridge only knows anything about them when the folder containing them is open) and once one learns how to sort/rate/adjust images in Lightroom, well ... one chooses not to do so elsewhere. At least, most of us do. There's so very little left to do outside LR for most images.

As Peter notes, he uses Image Ingester for initial "placement" of the files onto the computer and bulk metadata,  LR for initial processing (rating, culling, adjusting, a bit more metadata), and then transfers them to an Expressions Media catalog for most all further "handling". Each tool is well-designed for that specific purpose, and with the number of images he handles, it was worth the time to learn them as now his workflow is overall much easier.  I'm not shooting the gigs that Peter is, but still, when working, I can produce several hundred images a day. I'm LR-based and working with both idImager and Expressions Media 2 to figure out which will be our DAM app of choice for the missus's studio brand and mine. Or maybe we'll use separate DAM's  as she already is at least partly on iView and I just loaded her an updated EM2 to test. Well, that means I'll be testing it for her ...  ah well.

This would be a huge overkill for someone creating a hundred images a month or less. The time it would take to learn all these programs and re-learn them each upgrade cycle would be absurd.

So to conclude ... for a few images to maybe a hundred max in a month, Bridge[ACR]/CS5 would be sensible and fine; for more, at LEAST Lightroom 3 would be advised, and if you shoot a gig or more a month, you may want to look at a full-time DAM program like idImager or EM2.

And as always, your mileage may vary, or acronymated, YMMV!

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »

Thank yuo Neil, that's very helpful.

I own LR and CS5, so I will use LR for cataloguing, viewing, processing and so on.  I don't have the funds to buy anything else, even Image Ingester.

I was wondering for the initial image ingest, what's better Bridge CS5 or LR2/LR3?

Joe
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 04:07:05 PM »

I have tried IIP, but most of the time, just use Window's internal file managing-tool ("Windows Explorer" it's called now, but I have a shortcut to it with special code so it goes right to the list of the C:/ drive) to upload from flash-cards to the folder on the computer, process as follows:

1) Create new folder (if a new one is needed) with Lightroom;
2) Using "File Manager" copy the files from the card to the folder;
3) back in LR, right-click on the folder containing the files and select "Sync Folder"
4) Choose appropriate options in the resulting box, perhaps add some bulk metatadata, then tell it to "import".

I have IIP, as noted ... but need to spend some time with it to get it to stand up and do tricks for me ... maybe with this bum foot, it's time?

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 07:34:43 PM »

Joe,
 If you are using Lightroom to catalog, then that's the tool to use for as much of the workflow as possible.  (Although I think the Lightroom import is less than optimal.)  I'd stick with that for import.
If you are using something else to catalog, then there is a choice.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: