Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
DAM problem with Expression Media.
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:50:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  DAM problem with Expression Media.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DAM problem with Expression Media.  (Read 3564 times)
luckyluke

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2010, 01:27:18 AM »

Ok i am new to Expression Media, i was a Phase one user, and so i started wit Expression Media;..

Ok i would like to make a catalogue for all my images..
PROBLEM Expression Media Changes the names of the JPEG files ( cause they are too long i understood)

Is there a way around this?  because it is inpossible to change ALLL the JPEG files to shorter names at this moment...

greets
ju
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 02:15:41 AM »

Ju (we use first names on this forum - apologies if that is what Ju is),
There are a number of places that filenames longer that 31 characters can get you into trouble. It's best policy not to use names that long.

I assume that you are using the latest Expression (Expression media 2 - SP2).  What OS are you on?

And I'm also assuming that EM is not renaming the files, but rather is just showing the name incorrectly in the program.

Peter
luckyluke

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 03:03:18 AM »

Hi, yeah sorry for my name, it's Julien, but every one calls me Ju, so that's the devil of habbit to end mails with "ju"..
We work on OS X ( the latested) and OS X server.
The files are on NAS disks ( Netgear Ready NAS)

Well Before any DAM we worked wit a Folder structure, based on the C1Pro session..
For Example:
Folder: Com_15_07_08_Tovenaar_Franky
RAW: Com_15_07_08_Tovenaar_Franky-00001.CR2
Tiff: ( with layers for retouching): Com_15_07_08_Tovenaar_Franky-00001.tif
JPEG: Com_15_07_08_Tovenaar_Franky-00001.jpg

This because we were young Smiley and had a small budget, and thus focused on doing as much jobs as possible as fast as possible to get money in... Smiley
This system was quit affective at a low budget, small scale...

But now the scale is become realy big... and i want to put our collection in a DAM catalogue so that Copyrights, and keywords and so on can be managed verry fast...
Expression media was Phase ones awnser and it seemed to fill in our void...

The problem is i can not change these names, because 1- the client has those files & file names & 2 - the finished JPEG must be traceable back tot the source...
This because sometimes commercial clients ask me to re-retouch images for other uses... .

What expression Media Does, realy irritating, when i APPLY Annotations is change ALL JPEG file names from: Com_15_07_08_Tovenaar_Franky-00001.jpg to Com_15_07_08_Tovenaar_#8C27.jpeg

And it does this ONLY wit JPEG files, So i am a bit stuck you see.. Smiley I can not change my whole collection, and i don't want Expression Media To change my names...

For now i am stuck using Bridge, That works fine, but it's such a slow process converting all meta-data  per folder...
i heard it's a bug...
But does any one have an idea how to get round it ?

greets
ju
luckyluke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 04:22:26 AM »

i am also testing Extension Portfolio,
But i can't find the option where i could change MetaData on Multiple files at once...
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 03:38:10 PM »

Ju,
If you're using the latest Expression Media 2 (SP2), then there's probably nothing that you can do to fix it easily. (Other than by, say, pulling the Com_ off the front of the file name, or something like that.

Sorry about that.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: