Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Getting Started with EM2
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 06, 2020, 09:12:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Getting Started with EM2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Getting Started with EM2  (Read 8556 times)
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »

I'd like to use EM2 alongside LR2.

I would like to use EM2 to

(1) ingest both RAW/Jpg and movie (avi) files.
(2) Rename the files as in LR2.
(3) Some metada created at the ingestion stage.  Would this be storted in the file or, as with LR2, a catalogue.
(4) I will do nondestructive editing in LR2 and some editing in Photoshop.
(5) I will edit movies in Adobe Premiere Pro.
(6) I would like the files copied from the camera to be unchanged from the version on the memory card.

Is EM2 useful for this?

Joe
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:41:13 AM »

While it can, there's always a risk of two DAM programs competing with one another - in serial monogamy terms, I imagine it would be like having two competing lovers. LR3 can now manage video files. Unless you really have to have two DAM programs, is it worth the trouble?

John
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:19:35 AM »

I was under the impression that Expression Media and Lightroom play nicely together.  Are you saying that people who use Expression Media don't use LR?

With respect to LR3, I did not realize that they added video support (I don't remember seeing that in the first beta I downloaded).  I will check it out, but there is still the question of cost, I already own LR2, Expression Media, and Adobe Production Premium CS5, so if I could make those work I wouldn't want to buy LR3 as well.

Joe
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »

Not really saying that, but you do have to be sure of yourself with how both programs work and how data can be exchanged between them. For example, imagine you have a few hundred raw files which you've processed in LR. EM would read star ratings entered in LR - providing you did a Ctrl/CmdS in Lightroom. Then say you change ratings in EM - how do you get them back into LR? Do you really want to right directly back to the raw files in EM, then in LR use Read Metadata - which if you're not careful will overwrite and raw adjustments you've made since that Ctrl/CmdS. This is just one field and one permutation of where things can go wrong.

John
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:46:09 AM »

Thanks John.  I was looking for feedback to decide whether I should even start learning about Expression Media, which I have never used before.  Is it worth the learning curve, are there pitfalls to watch out for, does it really enhance my LR experience (I am not a heavy metadata user--I know metadata is great but I am lucky when I have enough time to download my pictures).  Support of video files in LR3 (assuming the price is acceptable when it comes out), removes a good deal of my incentive to use EM2.  Wondering whether EM2 there is still any incentive at all.  I would not have even thought of EM2, were it not for the recent sale to Phase One which enabled me to acquire it.  When is LR3 expected to arrive?

Joe
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:48:55 AM »

When is LR3 expected to arrive?

Do you want to get me shot? Those who know can't say, and those who don't know - don't know.

John
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:58:09 AM »

Yes John, I was trying to get you a shot.  What kind do you like?  A shot of brandy?  I see you're more focused on LR3 than EM2 right now!  I'll probably end up with LR3 eventually any way, so I will drop my resistance at the outset and just go with the flow.

Joe
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 01:12:08 AM »

I have a similar dilema. I stopped Photoshop at CS3, going with LR as CS3 did all I needed.
NOW!!!
CS5 has content aware fill, and the ACR will have all LR3 in.
So, do I DROP LR and go with EM2 - reinstsalling the DAM scripts. I see no point in LR and EM, esp if LR isn't "current", and EM is about to get a new leae of life. I never got on with EM1, but did use iVew.
Chris Bishop
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 01:13:37 AM »

You know LR3 is now out?

John
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 04:19:24 AM »

Yep. LR3 out and save 25% off if bought with CS5, so buying both upgrades will cost 245 incl postage and will save 25.
Offer on to end 2010.
what a dilema
Chris Bishop
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 05:01:02 AM »

You know LR3 is now out?

Yersterday, I download and install the beta.  And today it's out, with no fanfare or hoopla.  Crazy. 

So I'm better off with LR3 than LR2 + EM2, I take it?  How about Adobe Bridge CS5, can it import photos and videos better than LR2?

Joe
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 05:53:00 AM »

Well, it's not Adobe's fault you waited until that beta had been out for a couple of months!

I'd suggest you try LR3 - one app handling both images and video. Bridge handles an even wider range of files types, but it's only a browser.

John
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 07:44:04 AM »

If I do end up buying LR3, Adobe, should pay you a fee, because I'm trying very hard not to.

This never occured to me before, but can Bridge be used to import files from a card?  I suppose not, because that would also require changing names and applying metadata, which seems beyond what a browser would do.

Btw, how long before the LR3 beta 2 expires?

Joe
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 08:29:52 AM »

Bridge can add and change metadata - even via templates.
Chris Bishop
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 08:38:10 AM »

Btw, how long before the LR3 beta 2 expires?
I'd get the beta off your system and install the full LR3 trial. It's faster, less buggy, and has got the lovely new lens correction feature. If you can't decide during the 30 day  trial, it probably isn't for you.

John
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: