Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
iView catalog sets to Lightroom?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 09:46:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  iView catalog sets to Lightroom?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: iView catalog sets to Lightroom?  (Read 7587 times)
Steve Darden

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:45:59 AM »

I apologize for posting what must be a FAQ. But darned if I can find an up-to-date MacOS scripted solution to our big barrier to retiring iView/Expression Media forever.

There must be many iView catalog set users who needed to convert the sets into Lightroom hierarchical keywords (?)

All I have found so far is John Beardsworth's Bridge app (thank you John). I was hoping for an easier, fairly sure-fire method?

PS - never, ever use proprietary DAM features. Never, never, never, not even in Lightroom (stay away from Collections)!

Many thanks, Steve

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 04:34:54 AM »

Well, I think the real point is not to use proprietary DAM features that are writable to XMP. CatalogSets can be written back to the file, hence my escape route via Bridge is viable. I'd take your point about Lightroom collections, which is why I stress the use of Smart Collections which can be based on readily-portable fields.

Unfortunately, there's no easy way to do such things. Sadly, Adobe still haven't opened up Lightroom's excellent XMP reading and writing engine to use by humans or even plug-in authors. I have now automated Exiftool from Lightroom, but only so far for writing XMP - which is what I need for a project I'm working on. I'll get round to automating it for reading XMP, but it's not yet a priority.

John
Valeria Lages

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 08:24:54 AM »

John,

I'm interested in this automation about Exiftool from LR you've mentioned. Could you please explain which are "writing" and "reading" XMP? Are you talking about camera exif  (that would be "reading XMP" ?) and metadata like IPTC and other fields we fill ("writing XMP" ?) or nothing to do with that?

When your work about Exiftool is ready, let us now as soon as you can!

Valeria
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 09:22:42 AM »

Valeria

This tool is not for wider release, but what I'm doing is taking Lightroom custom field values and putting them into export files' XMP metadata - that's what I meant by writing. So, while it's not for a public plug-in, it's teaching me how to use Exiftool and Lightroom together, so I can also envisage plug-ins that make Exiftool read information such as Exif or catalog sets and store it in Lightroom.

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »

Steve,
While the proprietary fields can be a pain to migrate, I have not found it to be that bad.  In a worst-case scenario, all you have to do it make a keyword for each catalog set.  I've been a pretty enthusiastic user of these, and it's way less than a day's work  to migrate out to Lightroom.  Given that I've been using the tool for 8 years, I don't think that's too onerous.

Peter
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 01:40:53 AM »

In a similar vein, but just a tad different. I've given up on iVew and just use LR, trying EM v1 with no real success. However just acquired EM v2 (thanks PhaseOne). I want ot tidy up my keywords and metadata.
Is it easier to move people and places etc to the correct field in EM2 or LR2? then remove the keyword.
Also JB how do you manage keywords that are not hierarchical?
Chris Bishop
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 01:50:11 AM »

Chris

My Search and Replace plug-in for Lightroom takes iView events and people to Lightroom.

"Also JB how do you manage keywords that are not hierarchical?"

I simply have a long, alphabetical list. What could be less easy to manage?

John
patrickcorrigan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:33:22 AM »

In a similar vein, but just a tad different. I've given up on iVew and just use LR, trying EM v1 with no real success. However just acquired EM v2 (thanks PhaseOne). I want ot tidy up my keywords and metadata.
Is it easier to move people and places etc to the correct field in EM2 or LR2? then remove the keyword.
Also JB how do you manage keywords that are not hierarchical?

Once your non-hierarchical list is in Lightroom you can create a hierarchy by moving keywords under other keywords.

Patrick
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 08:38:38 AM »

No - they stay flat. I got in such a mess with hierarchies differing on my two machines, then being mixed. So this is just one of those things where if the world wants to go in a hierarchical direction, I'll just stand aside and wish everyone the best of luck!

John
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 04:45:56 AM »

If the World (read IIPro) ((Sorry Marc, probably LR not releasing the access you need)) went hiearchical, it would be seamless and not an issue.
I think I'll leave the keywords IPTC dilema for a while. I'll try the search and replace function when available, until then I'll either dual enter or just use IPTC fields.
Chris Bishop
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 04:55:56 AM »

Well, I'm less concerned about the world succeeding - LR hierarchies can be read by EM and Bridge, and other programs will follow as Adobe's standard becomes established.

My concern is more about me and the mess I got into. I'm usually pretty disciplined with such things, but I found my laptop's LR catalogue had, for example, "Drinks/Beer/Real ale/Hopback Summer Lightning" while on my desktop it was "Drinks/Beer/Hopback Summer Lightning". When images were moved from one machine to the other, I then had "Hopback Summer Lightning" (highly recommended - I bought a case for the World Cup) at both the 3rd and 4th levels. It was such a mess that I decided to eliminate the problem entirely. Instead I suspect I make more use than most people of other features like keyword sets, metadata presets, and that little filter box at the top of the keywording list. I don't recommend anyone else does this, but I like it this way and feel no inclination to change.

John
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 05:09:35 AM »

Oh, and Chris / Marc, LR3 now exposes hierarchical keywords and collections to the scripting language.

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »

World Cup
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: