Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Getting Sharpen images
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2020, 10:40:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Getting Sharpen images
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Getting Sharpen images  (Read 4603 times)
Valeria Lages

View Profile Email
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »

Hi,

About sharpening possibilities at LR in order to don't have to open some images in PS: 

- Should I apply sharpening, noise reduction and chromatic aberration corrections in the master image to be archived? Or just when preparing it as a derivative file knowing which will be the final image dimensions and resolution?

- How can I start choosing, at Detail Panel,  amount, radius, detail and masking numbers for sharpening?  And what about luminance and color for noise reduction?  Any special tip for chromatic aberration adjustment or just seeing the result? 

- Even having applied sharpening in Develop, should I also apply sharpening output in the export window (that one that asks if it's for screen, matte or glossy paper)? Isn't it over? Is there any key to know when choose standard, low or high amount or it's a matter of exporting in all three options and choose the better?

Thanks,

Valeria
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:24:11 PM »

Valeria,
The philosophy behind LR sharpening (particularly LR3) is simple -

Use the sharpen control in the develop panel to make the images look right.  Old-schoolers can think of this as a combination of Capture and Creative Sharpening.  It is definitely a combination of sharpening and Noise Reduction. That's an intrinsic interplay.
Use the output controls to apply the right amount of sharpening for the output task at hand (screen, print, paper type, etc).

Even Uncle Steve, who is kind of like the sharpening Nazi, says that it's right most of the time.
Peter
Valeria Lages

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:38:49 AM »

Thanks, Peter.

I used to apply Sharpening and Noise Reduction in PS but I think there is some different results in LR even using the same amounts to the same picture (and resolution) in both applications. I wonder if PS and LR use equal engineering models to the same tool.

So, if I wanna get more experience to do that in LR, which book, website etc could you suggest to go deeper getting sharper images using only LR?

Valeria
MikeBaynes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 04:43:26 PM »

I didn't see anyone else responding to your question, and I'm certainly NOT and expert on the subject of sharpening.  But I found this book to be very helpful to me as I tried to improve my skills in this area.  It gives detailed sharpening workflows for both Lightroom (V2.x) and Photoshop.

Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)
~ Bruce Fraser  & Jeff Schewe

Hope this is helpful,
   -Mike
Valeria Lages

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 03:55:54 AM »

Thanks, Mike. I will look for that!

Valeria
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 02:32:17 AM »

Valeria,
Yes, LR and PS are different sharpening (at least the PS part of PS.  The ACR part is identical to LR3). Now that LR3 is out, that is what to look at. I'm assuming Jeff Schewe will have something out, as well as Martin Evening (I think it's supposed to be out just about now).

I would also try testing, if you can make test outputs (on your inkjet printer, for instance).  If you primarily do CMYK work, then testing is harder.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: