Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Phase One buys Expression Media - updated
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 29, 2020, 09:25:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Phase One buys Expression Media - updated
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Phase One buys Expression Media - updated  (Read 33468 times)
aniemann

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 12:06:40 AM »

I want to add my 2 cents for keeping and even expanding file formats. Most photos we take are part of a larger project. There is no living with just photo files. One example would be multimedia projects. These will include lots of different photos of course, some amount of video and then word docs that supply the text for titles, biographies, content etc., vector graphics as well as pdfs from different artists, sometimes html pages and links to research, and then the Flash or Director files. It is more than useful to be able to have all the files for a project findable years after.

Andy
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 12:25:32 AM »

It's not just PDFs [make for easily transferable slide shows] or text documents [which I don't catalogue], it is graphical design formats that should be of interest to photographers, like AI, EPS, QT [slide shows again], SWF ...

Let's see what Phase One themselves will say about future development, we've been burnt at least once over MediaPro/xMedia; and for the time being the program is far behind in development and marketing.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
jimHere

born in the 20th Century

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »

Well, we should all go the the PhaseOne forums to let 'em know:
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewforum.php?f=36&sid=45050a07f2463755738f4b6fe8ca1e87

(I want all the formats too -- Bridge just doesn't work as well)

-- Jim
Butch_M

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2010, 09:16:47 AM »

I received my free license code for Capture One 5 today ... that was fairly quick response ....
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2010, 09:19:33 PM »

Hi Andy,

That's precisely why iView was invented by Yan all those years ago. The future of of photography; for the pro, enthusiast and consumer, is more multimedia.

-- Robert.

DonShreve

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »

Thanks Jimhere for the link to the Phase One user forums. Kind of cumbersome to get registered, but after viewing the forums, it seems the company is very resomnsive & interested in the needs of the professional photographer.

Don Shreve
Shreve Imaging
Fayetteville, AR
http://www.shreveimaging.com
Todd Douglass

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 07:15:03 AM »

There is a new offer available until June 18th.  You can get Capture One 5 for $64.50 (1/2 price, Use Voucher Code: CO5OFFER, offer expires 6/18/10). 

You can then take advantage of the 2nd offer, which is FREE Expression Media 2 if you have bought Capture One 5 (you need the Capture One 5 Product Key, offer expires 6/30/10).  That's quite a deal, $64.50 for both programs! 

I just got both and will be installing and using them.  I had the Lightroom 3 Beta 2, but that expires at the end of this month and it's $300 to upgrade.  I was debating between EM2 and IDImager Professional for catlogging.  Capture One 5 and EM2 for $64.50 total was too good of a deal for me to pass up. 

I am not sure about using Capture One 5 however.  I was originally thinking of using PS (or PSE), Bridge, IDimager Pro v5, and ImageIngester Pro.  I was also considering using Lightroom for image adjusting and the front end processing, but $300 is a lot as I won't be using it for catloging.  So perhaps now I will use PSE, EM2, and Capture One for a very low cost setup.  I am not sure if I still need or want ImageIngester Pro, and/or Bridge (does Bridge come with PSE?)  I haven't seen a lot about Capture One 5 and I don't know how it will work with DNG files (claims to support the format).  It looks like Capture One 5 is designed to work ideally with RAW images.  I am wondering how Cature One 5 will work instead of using LR with a separate catalogging program (now EM2). 

Anyway, lots to figure out and to play with :-)

Thank you,
Todd
Paul_S

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 11:18:03 PM »

Todd, I do not think you will be disapointed, as someone who owns LR2.7 (and trialing LR3), CO5 ,IDimager Pro and EM2, I much prefere using EM2 and CO5 and LR is sitting on my computer pretty much redundant now. 

EM2 and CO5 play together more nicely than I first thought, especially if using the capture sets in CO5. Smiley

J.W. Wall

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »

The free Capture One offer for EM2 owners is in effect through today, June 30, 2010, per Phase One's web site.
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 02:11:31 PM »

Todd, I do not think you will be disapointed, as someone who owns LR2.7 (and trialing LR3), CO5 ,IDimager Pro and EM2, I much prefere using EM2 and CO5 and LR is sitting on my computer pretty much redundant now. 

EM2 and CO5 play together more nicely than I first thought, especially if using the capture sets in CO5. Smiley

Paul ... I've played with CO4 and CO5, and don't seem to "get" it nearly as well as Lightroom. I've not found the way to flow through the program when working on groups of images in my sessions or weddings. Any thoughts or suggestions? Especially if it works as well with EM as you say ... I did take advantage of the upgrade I had coming and also grabbed an EM for my wife's studio through the deal, they're still using iView ...

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2010, 04:39:54 PM »

Hi Neil,

This Phase One/Expression Media Best Practice PDF may help:

http://www.phaseone.com/Apsis/Phase-One-Best-Practice.pdf

Capture One does have a "different" method of working. For example, in LR you can selectively import and edit just a few images spanned over different folders. Capture One uses Albums to achieve a similar workflow. Otherwise Capture One works like a file browser showing every image in a folder, one folder at a time. The same as Adobe Bridge + ACR.

The latest Capture One 5.1.2 release makes it easier to roundtrip images with Expression Media. According to the PDF linked above Expression Media Sets and Capture One Albums talk to one another.

-- Robert.

R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »

Thanks, Robert ... downloaded the file and will read it right now ...

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Paul_S

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2010, 08:08:42 AM »

If you import your images from your Card using EM2 then a seperate capture set will be made for each download and/or you can custom make Catalog Sets.

What this means is if you now send a image to CO5 from one of those sets it will add it to a CO5 Album with the same name in the library, this means you can just open the image you want in CO5 without having to import a complete folder of images into CO5's library.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: