Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Phase One buys Expression Media - updated
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 01:36:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Phase One buys Expression Media - updated
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Phase One buys Expression Media - updated  (Read 33376 times)
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 10:19:55 AM »

Expression Media owners can get a free copy of Capture One.

Very good news. I got the newsletter as well today.

I'm curious what EM3 will look like.

Regarding the offer: I have not read anything about this in the newsletter or on Phase One's home page.

I bought both when they were offered together at a discount. But I only have Capture one 4.

Now I can get Capture One 5 for free as well. While I haven't used Capture One 4 in a while (DPP user), it's not bad to have an alternative.

Attention: the offer expires June 30th.

Robert
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 10:29:57 AM »

Attention: the EM2 for $49 offer expires June 4th.

Robert
GregBoyer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 11:52:39 AM »

Really good news.....I guess I better go buy some lottery tickets(see post of 3/10)..... Grin
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »

Like iView Multimedia, Phase One are a small, nimble company so can act far quicker than Microsoft.

Phase are serious about photography and have some serious money to invest. Witness the acquisitions of Mamiya, Leaf and now xMedia. It was always going to be guesswork which company would buyout the other, Microsoft (Expression Media) or Phase One.

Where Phase will take xMedia is speculation:

1. Combine it with Capture One 6 to make a Lightroom-type app
2. Reduce it to focus on raw workflow (remove other file support + QuickTime)
3. Grow the app to be the dominant DAM app for creatives

I hope it's 3 but expect number 1.

-- Robert.

Rich Green

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 03:50:19 PM »

Peter,

Thanks for the info about the Phase One offer you made via a comment I made in the Yahoo Group APA Digital. I just provided my serial number and hope to get the link within a few days to download the software. One question - years ago when Microsoft made a similar offer I downloaded Version #1, which I still have but never used. It didn't seem any different that iView 3. My question - is Expression 2 any better? Thanks.

Rich Green
www.rjgreenphoto.com

Sam Rohn
Location Scout & Manager

Location Scout :: New York City

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 05:26:23 PM »

what excellent news, hats off to MS for doing the right thing and allowing this app to move to a better home

heres hoping phase one change the name back to iview media pro, which is how most folks i know still refer to EM

BTW, the $49 offer appears legit -

from http://www.bythom.com/

May 25 (commentary) -- iView Media Pro has left its temporary home at Microsoft where the softies apparently didn't know what images were, why they might be important to Windows and Office users, and why they might want to manage them. As of yesterday, iView has a new home at Phase One, the makers of the Capture One raw converter. Phase One has a temporary offer of US$49 for Microsoft Expression Media 2 (normally US$199). Just use the code XMOFFER on checkout.

sam

Sam Rohn :: 360 Panoramic Photography :: www.samrohn.com :: Location Scout :: www.nylocations.com :: New York City
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 06:26:01 PM »

Like iView Multimedia, Phase One are a small, nimble company so can act far quicker than Microsoft.

Phase are serious about photography and have some serious money to invest. Witness the acquisitions of Mamiya, Leaf and now xMedia. It was always going to be guesswork which company would buyout the other, Microsoft (Expression Media) or Phase One.

Where Phase will take xMedia is speculation:

1. Combine it with Capture One 6 to make a Lightroom-type app
2. Reduce it to focus on raw workflow (remove other file support + QuickTime)
3. Grow the app to be the dominant DAM app for creatives

I hope it's 3 but expect number 1.

-- Robert.

To remove all other file support? I don't really think this would be a good option.

I also hope Phase One don't limit the compatibility to Capture One processed files. I use DPP and this would mean I could no longer use the software.

And what about those who shoot Hasselblad? Phase One would cut them off with such a move. They would cut off many people this way, and this is why I don't think this will happen.

Proprietary software (like Lightroom) is not good. It forces you to work with the products of one company exclusively.

In case the pulling up of the drawbridge does happen: Photo Mechanic will one day release its DAM software. We'll have a choice. And this is another reason why Phase One won't do this.

Robert
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »

To remove all other file support? I don't really think this would be a good option.
No. remove support for non-photographic file formats like EPS, PDF, HTML, SWF, etc. xMedia supports 130 files formats + 180 Raw formats = 300+ formats.

-- Robert.

Pdepuhl
Photography by Depuhl

catching the light!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 06:00:34 AM »

I also hope Phase One don't limit the compatibility to Capture One processed files. I use DPP and this would mean I could no longer use the software.

And what about those who shoot Hasselblad? Phase One would cut them off with such a move. They would cut off many people this way, and this is why I don't think this will happen.

Proprietary software (like Lightroom) is not good. It forces you to work with the products of one company exclusively.

Robert,

I have been using Capture One for years now and know that their philosophy has always been one of an 'open software' kind of approach. Yes they make digital backs (Phase One), but their software supports all types of cameras - Capture One is my main image processor, no matter if I am shooting Phase One backs tethered or if I am shooting Canon cameras tethered or import from cards.

Capture One actually increased the types of files that you can process with their software to include jpegs and TIFF files, not just their Raw files and you can shoot a tethered Hasselblad straight into Capture One.

catching the light!

Pascal
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »

No. remove support for non-photographic file formats like EPS, PDF, HTML, SWF, etc. xMedia supports 130 files formats + 180 Raw formats = 300+ formats.

-- Robert.

Yes, this would make sense. For this kind of flies you can go with Bridge.

Robert
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 01:04:25 PM »

It would make no sense at all, and would actually erode an advantage iViewOne have over Lightroom and Aperture in allowing the photographer to decide which file types to catalogue. For many photographers, PDF or Word documents are as important a part of a photographic project as images, and the same argument could be applied to videos, sound recordings, and other multimedia files.

John
Lauren Singer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 02:17:17 PM »

It doesn't matter if Expression supports a ton of file types, I would only catalog what is valuable to me anyway.
There's no rule that you have to catalog everything. And no catalog cops either!

Glad to know that Expression is being picked up and not left on the vine...

Lauren Singer
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »

Yes, and I'm saying it should be up to the user to decide - not the catalogue developer by finding some arbitrary way of limiting your choice.

John
awaldon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »

I completely disagree that some formats should be removed. Most of people work in a variety of media. For example, as digital SLRs are increasingly able to write full HD with some better characteristics than that produced by dedicated film cameras, people run into the need to catalog such produce along with photographs in an integrated fashion. The same goes for the multiple types of design derivatives. Bridge is no alternative here. In fact there is no good alternative I have found (please suggest if you know one). EM could become one but only by extending format/file support, not cutting it!
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 10:41:32 PM »

It doesn't matter if Expression supports a ton of file types, I would only catalog what is valuable to me anyway.

Lauren file formats that are important to you may not be important to others. And vice versa. Do you need PDFs, Word docs? For me they hold my invoices and estimates. Maybe you want to catalog movie files from your DSLR. I couldn't care.

To be clear I don't want Phase to reduce file format support but retain or even expand on them.

-- Robert.
[Honorary Catalog Cop]

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: