Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Three questions
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 10:47:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Three questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Three questions  (Read 6478 times)
InsightOne

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2010, 02:42:20 PM »

I just began to use EM2 and have read your book at length.  I bought a Blu Ray burner and it provided some burning software.  What is the best software to burn Blu Ray discs?

I don't understand or see the advantages of using keywords versus catalogs/subcatalogs.  As I click on keywords, it seems to me that I am in essence sorting by catalogs and subcatalogs.

Lastly, I am a professional photographer with thousands of images that I am now bringing into EM2.  In your book you talk about creating an optical backup disk of the RAW files per month.  What bad news awaits me if I choose to use buckets regardless of the date when the photos were dated in the metadata?

BTW, I am struggling greatly with the naming procedure in IIPro.  While most of the overall choices are obvious, I have programming deficit and find the naming a great challenge.
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 04:29:31 PM »

Keywords are widely understood by many more programs.  Catalogs sets are only really understood by Expression Media.  The amount to which I had relied on catalog sets became painfully obvious when I decided to move away from Expression Media to Lightroom instead.  Use both and your data can more easily be sorted in other programs in much the same way that you are seeing in EM.

Mixing dates in buckets is not a big deal.  I've done that a lot as I continue to bring older work into my system.  Your catalog software will keep it all straight and make it easy to find things regardless of where the file actually resides.  As I move forward my buckets are a bit more organized... more of them contain similarly dated material.  That makes it a little easier to find something if my catalog system ever goes completely awol.  That's not a major concern for me.

Bob Smith 
InsightOne

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »

Thanks Bob.  In my case based on your reply I think that I'll stick with keywords.  You experience has been very helpful.

Vaughn
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 05:51:24 AM »

Vaughn,
Bob has a good point, but I'd add something to it.  It may be less important have your organizational structure, depending on how you use a multi-application workflow.  For instance, I rarely need to access the data contained in Catalog sets outside of Expression Media. That's different from needing to migrate the data because you are changing to Lightroom as your management program. 

When it's time to migrate (as it will be eventually), then you can transfer the information to the keywords.

There are two reasons to stay with Catalog sets (given the caveats above).  The first is that there can be lots of organizational information you want to attach to an image that you don't want to have int he keywords ("This image is in my web portfolio" for instance).  The second is that EM handles Catalog Sets in a different way in the database, and it's much faster to work with.

Additionally, there was a bug (I don't know the current status) with Hierarchical Keywords where moving them around caused some kind of corruption.

Peter
InsightOne

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 01:00:14 PM »

Thanks, Peter.  I can begin to see the uses for each method.  BTW, I have begun keywording RAW files.  I'm approaching 20k of files and there are many more to deal with.  Is there a way to copy the keywords into a new catalog which will have the derivatives of the RAW files?  It will be quite a job recreating the keywords from scratch.

Vaughn
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »

Vaughn,
There are several methods.  One way is to assign all keywords to a single image, and then import that image to the second catalog.
You could also take the raw catalog and copy it, then delete all images. You will be left with an empty catalog with all keywords.  Then you can import an existing derivative catalog into the empty one.
That's two methods.
Peter
InsightOne

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »

Thanks, Peter.

I especially like method 1.

Vaughn
Lauren Singer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:04:09 PM »

I'm particularly glad to read Peter's two methods for importing massive amounts of keywords. I had considered the same thing for the "People" field to bring in names. Thought of these images as "carrier images".

Peter's confirmation that this procedure is copacetic is comforting!

Question: Is there a limit to the quantity of data that can be piled into these fields? I'm looking at several hundred names.

Thanks, Lauren
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 09:15:12 AM »

Lauren,
There probably is a limit, but I think it's a big one.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: