The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 12:06:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Genie Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Genie Timeline  (Read 2788 times)
Lynnea 1941

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:40:41 PM »

I have been using Genie Backup Manager for some time now to backup up data.  There is a new program called Genie Timeline which backups up data continuously with the frequency determined by the user (every 3 minutes, for example).  It also allows for the creation of a Disaster Recovery Boot disc which can be used when there is a hard drive failure and allows the user to then access the Disaster Recovery backups of the OS and software applications.

This combination seems to me to be the ideal program, yet I haven't seen a word about it on the Dam Forum.

Is anyone using it, or thinking about using it?

Lynnea
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:59:27 PM »

Lynnea,
Any chance you could test for us?
Peter
Lynnea 1941

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 05:50:59 AM »

I have been using Genie Timeline for two weeks and decided to buy it.  I had a few questions for support and received prompt answers.

It was very easy to install.  Genie Backup Manager Home 8 was much more difficult to figure out and configure compared to Timeline.

If you use Genie Backup Manager, then Timeline will feel comfortable to use.  You can have the program select parts to backup automatically, and you can also select yourself parts to backup.

If there is any duplication in selection, I'm told by tech support that Timeline will detect the duplication and only backup once.

You can determine the time interval for backup; the Pro program can backup every 3 minutes. 

If you shut down in the middle of a backup, the program will pick up where it stopped when you boot back up.

Genie Backup Manager 8 had the option to backup up folders to different external drives, and I did do that.  Timeline doesn't have that option now, but I'm told by tech support that backup to multiple drives is high on the list for the next update.

You can run both Genie programs at the same time without any interference, so I could use Genie Backup Manager 8 to backup up selected files to one drive and Timeline to backup the majority of my files and exclude those backed up with GM8 on another drive.

I have decided to do all my backups on an external Drobo (first generation with USB connection).

I tried to use Acronis 10, but it was very difficult to get it going.  Genie has "full system protection . . . when you select the Disaster Recovery feature and will backup system files on a different schedule (every 24 hours)."  (Tech support quote) You can create a boot disc with the program.

"Once backed up you can use 2 different ways to restore either by the Timeline explorer or the Advanced Restore option and they can be used to restore any of your files (whether data or system). However, since the most you would need your system files to be restored is when disaster strikes and you are unable to start your Windows platform the DR boot disc provides a way for you to boot up an Pre-environment in which you open an DR restore wizard and restore your system files to get your system back to a working state." (Tech support quote).

I am on Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit with 8 GB Ram and have not noticed any response problem with the continuous backup when using either PS5 or Lightroom 2.

For me the ability to have an application backup including preferences, plus data backup in one program is very enticing. (I am still using MediaDex which has the most complicated system for choosing preferences that I have ever encountered.  I haven't changed to Cumulus Single User yet.  If you are aware of MediaDex or Cumulus, then you will understand the joy of having a program which can include your application preferences.  But, I must admit that I haven't tested this.)

I haven't tested the boot disc.

I had no problem with installation and the selection process was very easy since I was familiar with Genie terminology.  Any questions I had regarding the program have been answered promptly by tech support.

I have more than 232 GB of photos which I need to be backed up with a program that I can understand so Genie Timeline seems to be working for me now.

I hope this description is helpful.

Lynnea

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 06:38:41 AM »

Lynnea,
Yes, very helpful, thanks.
I would suggest that before too long, it would be good to verify that the restoration can be done. These incremental systems are essentially creating a meta file system.  Unlike a straight clone, it's a more involved process that has additional risk.

Also, depending on the design. you may find that it's not ideally suited to a large media archive. If each change to a file - even a file's metadata - triggers a new copy of the file, you could overrun your backup storage capacity pretty quickly.

I found that Time Machine was useful on the Mac, but that it did not produce a bootable backup the one time I needed it (thankfully had an additional clone).
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: