Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Folders for raw and derivatives
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 01:16:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Folders for raw and derivatives
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Folders for raw and derivatives  (Read 3581 times)
filip

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:50:22 AM »

Hi everyone,

In the book, Peter puts the original files and the "master tif/psd" file sin different folders.
But Lightroom autopmatically creates a psd in teh same fodler when you edit in photoshop.

So I have a questino for the lightroom-only (no other dam software) users.
When you only use Lightroom as a catalog, do you place teh psd/tif files in the same fodler as the raw or in different folders.
With different folders you loose the stacking ability...

My folder structure at the moment is:
--name of the shoot
----DNG
----PSD

so lightroom doesn't stack...

best regards,

Filip

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 04:33:05 AM »

There's no way around it. You either put them in the same folder, which has disadvantages as Peter explains, but which does allow you to stack images. Or you put them in separate folders, in which case you lose the ability to stack them.

It depends how much you think stacking is worth. I always feel it's the best way to lose sight of pictures, so I only use it for files which will always be in the same folder - eg the component frames shot for an HDR merge.

John
george

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »

IDimager will stack images no matter where they are, and it's easy to stack and unstack with a couple of clicks.

--George
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 07:32:34 PM »

Filip,
After helping a photographer friend migrate his collection to LR3, I can reiterate that I think it's best to separate these files. It may not hurt now, but might one day.  It's not terrible, but I think we are moving ever-closer to a single-original workflow.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: