The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 09:12:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Aperture
| | |-+  migrating iView "people" fields to Aperture 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: migrating iView "people" fields to Aperture 3  (Read 2858 times)
doktorwise

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:45:48 AM »

Does anyone know the best way to migrate information from iView Media Pro 3 "People" fields into Aperture 3? I've looked around on the web and searched this forum, but I can't seem to find anything. I know that I could manually go through and select each person and add their name as a keyword, but I've got over 500 names and 20,000 images, so I'd really like to avoid that. I suppose I'll need some sort of a script, but the closest thing I could find was for Expression 2. Would there be any way to link the iView People data with the Faces list in Aperture? (I haven't tried the Faces thing, but I assume that faces have names associated with them.) Thoughts, suggestions?

chris

PS: Does anyone know why neither LR or A3 have a similar people field? It seems so obviously useful to me.
msbc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 07:46:02 AM »

Chris,

I'd suggest creating a test Aperture library and importing a few images and trying out the the Faces feature. Once you have a face identified and named any future images should be recognised automatically and you won'y have to manually identify them.

Mark

- Mark
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »

Chris,
while 500 seems like a lot, I bet it goes pretty quickly to copy the name, and put it into keywords.

Alternately, John Beardsworth has a Bridge Script that can do it, but I'd probably do it manually. (It should not be more than a couple hours work - and in the grand scheme of a data migration, that's not too bad).

The field is becoming a standard one as part of IPTC extended, and is supported by CS5 and will be supported by LR3, but it would still require a migration from iView.  Maybe someone would write a script to do the migration.

Peter
Giuseppe Spagoni

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »

Hello Chris,

Maybe I can give you some help.

Like you I also did a strong use of People field in iView Media Pro tagging every person of my family in every picture so I can select all the pictures of one person in seconds (it was my rough Face function).

Then I migrate to Expression Media 1 and then I bought Aperture 2.1 to edit all my pictures in a Parametric Image Editing way.
Ultimately I upgraded to Aperture 3 and my workflow is still Expression Media 1 for ingestion and metadata application and then Aperture 3 for editing.

So I can tell you for sure that you can find the content of People field filled in Media Expression in the Contact field (IPTC-Legacy-Contact) in Aperture 2.1 and Aperture 3.

Instead with Face function seems that you don't have any field associated with names so at the moment I can't match my tagged people with Face function (or at least these are my results experimenting with Aperture 3).

Hope this can help you.

Giuseppe
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: