Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Make Title from File Name
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2019, 03:23:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Make Title from File Name
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Make Title from File Name  (Read 6086 times)
alanbarnett

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:48:59 AM »

I recently installed EM2 (Mac, using OS 10.5.Cool. In migrating my files to Krogh's recommended naming convention, it's particularly important for me to preserve the original file name as outlined in The DAM Book, Chapter 12, page 441 sidebar, Figure 12-9. However, all the scripts underneath the Tools flyout menu in the illustration are not there, including "Make Title from File Name." It doesn't seem that this function has been moved somewhere else since the publication the book. I've searched the Internet and cannot find the script to install. I've posted this question on Microsoft's EM forum but have gotten no answer. Does anyone know where this function is now or another way to achieve it?

Many thanks,
Alan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »

Alan,
Did you get this figured out?
Peter
jimHere

born in the 20th Century

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 05:41:01 PM »

For the Mac version, I use this Applescript. I don't remember where it came from:

Code:
tell application "iView MediaPro"
try
set SelectedItems to selection of catalog 1
repeat with mediaItem in SelectedItems
tell mediaItem
set product to name
end tell
end repeat
on error
display dialog "Select one or more media items and try again" buttons "OK" default button 1
end try
end tell
beep 1

(change the application name to "Expression Media 2" is you're using that version)

-- Jim
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 08:33:10 AM »

It turned out to be more complicated than that - there is a new dictionary, and figuring out the syntax is a little tougher.
For thos who just want a colution, I have created a script for $9.99 that does the job.

Link here:

http://www.damuseful.com/pages/filename_to_title.html

Peter
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:08:41 AM »

I have been preserving the original filename in the Descriptions field, rather than the Title field. I was concerned I might overwrite the Title if I performed some other action (such as renaming the image again).

Just another thought. --Bill
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 06:31:38 AM »

Bill,
If I wanted to put it somewhere other than the Title field, I'd probably hijack something other than the Description/caption field. That's a more used/useful field, and thus more likely to be written over.
Peter
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:38:33 AM »

Peter-
Good point, thanks.

I am fiddling with a few of my iView scripts, using a Filename_to_title EM script by matthew heaney.
One peculiarity in converting to EM2 seems to be that

item.Annotations.Title = item.Name

actually maps to the Product field, rather than to the Title field. This seems strange, but there it is.

Q: Is there a Windows Scripting Guide for EM2, as there is/was for iView? It is kind of like groping around in the dark to work on scripts without a scripting reference.
(I wouldn't be that interested in an EM2 guide, except for having already encountered that Title-mapped-into-Products thing mentioned above).

I have already observed:

App = CreateObject("ExpressionMedia.Application")

and most variables which in iView were "ivVariable...." are now written in EM2 as "Variable..."

Thanks for any info re EM Scripting Guide. --Bill
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »

I don't recall seeing one, Bill. Equally, I don't recall many changes.

Do you know VBA? The way I like to develop scripts is by doing it in Excel. You set up a reference to the object you're automating and then the object browser shows the various properties and methods.

I've always disliked writing to the title field. In most others applications, it's used as the file title. Instead I use instructions.

John
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 09:23:48 AM »

Bill,

Google is your friend...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c0845865-b7c3-4dd5-b549-45a8b6f7e8f9&displaylang=en

Ian
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 10:18:05 AM »

*laughs*

No Ian, you are my friend!

I had searched Google, but my search terms kept getting me tangled up with Internet flotsam and jetsam. Thanks for locating this, much appreciated.

From a quick look at the file, I see:

- either "Description or "Caption" can be used (with the note that Caption is an alias for Description).

- "Title" purportedly writes to title (although my script experience is that it is writing to Product)
- "Product" is listed as an alias to Title
(perhaps a mapping issue here to the wrong location?)

Anyway, thanks again for locating the Guide.
--Bill

(I also look forward to PhaseOne having a less byzantine set of help pages than Microsoft. I have never understood why any of MS's help, whether for EM, or any Office applications, has to be so twisted and convoluted. Another of life's little mysteries)
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 04:20:03 AM »

JohnB-
I really need to learn more about VBA (I have done some script modifications using Notepad++ in VBS, but I'm not doing this with any real knowledge). I'm not sure what you mean about setting up a reference to an object. (I should probably hit some beginner tutorials on the subject so I can get oriented).

I finally found the "Instructions" field- that looks great (especially since it is so obscure, at least for me!) I assume that this is a field that all DAM's can use/find. I think I will start pushing my original filenames into there, too. Thanks for the tip.
--Bill
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 09:47:05 AM »

Bill,
Int he General preferences, there is a setting for the names of the metadata fields.  YOu can choose IPTC, Adobe CS or iView. If you switch back and forth between these with the info panel open, you'll see which is which. And, in fact, the Title field is the same as the product field.
Peter
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 02:11:42 PM »

Peter-
Yep, that did it. I didn't realize there were choices (apparently my EM2 installed with "iView" view, which was showing "Title" field in "Product"). After resetting to IPTC Core, the "Title" is properly displayed in the Title field.

Thanks. (I'd have never located that one!) --Bill
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: