The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 10:39:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Carbon Copy Cloner
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Carbon Copy Cloner  (Read 2810 times)
pjbraune

View Profile Email
« on: March 12, 2010, 04:58:56 PM »

I'm upgrading a G5 to Leopard from Tiger. I have a full, bootable clone of the current HD. I'd like to do a clean install of Leopard. If I do that, can I use Carbon Copy Cloner to move all of my apps, etc. back from the boot drive or would I have to install everything separately? Would it matter that the boot drive has Tiger on it?

Thanks...before I shoot myself in the foot.

Peter

Peter Brauné
Mac G5, 10.4.11, IIP, iView 3.1.3, QT 7.4.1, Canon
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »

Look into whether the migration feature that's offered when you first install an OS will work with a bootable drive instead of a 2nd computer. When I just installed Snow Leopard, this was an option. Don't know about Leopard.

Unless Carbon Copy Cloner is very smart, I don't think it does what you want. You want the new versions of the apps, utilities, drivers, etc., that come with the new system. Not the old ones. Also, there are the system files themselves. (But, please note that I know nothing about Carbon Copy Cloner other than the name.)

--Marc

pjbraune

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:16:26 AM »

Marc

I will look for that.

I was thinking that I could use CCC to move all of my apps, etc. onto the main drive after a clean install just as I would use it to restore something that had become corrupted. I hope to get some other input about that here.

Thanks

Peter

Peter Brauné
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 08:10:03 AM »

Peter,
My method is this.  I clone the current system before upgrade.  Then, upgrade and migrate data from the primary drive.  If there is a problem, you can wipe the drive and rollback to the previous version. Or you could boot from the clone if you need to run something temporarily that won't run under the new OS. 

CCC is not a migration tool for the stuff you ask about.
Peter
pjbraune

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 08:27:41 AM »

Peter

Thanks for this. I had a gut feeling that the CCC idea wouldn't do it. When you refer to "migrating the data from the primary drive" are you using the Archive and Install option in the installer?

Peter

Peter Brauné
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:45:16 AM »

Yes, that's what I'm talking about.  I've been using this for a number of years on multiple machines (maybe 15-20 total OS migrations).  I have found it to be reliable.

It's my understanding that some legacy stuff gets migrated that one really would not want.  On my business computer, this includes legacy code from long-unsupported programs that is certainly slowing things down.  The best way to do the migration would be to reinstall all software, but I don't ever seem to have the time for that.

On image processing workstations, however, I do reinstall from scratch periodically.

Peter
pjbraune

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:49:43 AM »

Thanks, Peter.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love bootable cones?

Peter

Peter Brauné
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: