The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 07:00:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Trying to get organized
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Trying to get organized  (Read 9238 times)
sharpie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 05:14:52 PM »

Due to my time constraints I have had to minimize my workflow to downloading and organizing pics according to date taken.  I do not have time to rate or touch-up photos at this time.  Is Lightroom or Aperture overkill for my needs?  Should I just use a program like EM2 and Photo-Mechanic to archive and view photos?  Thoughts?

Chris
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »

Chris,

At this level of work, that would do it ... or even Photoshop Elements, the newest is version is"8". It has several parts, the "Organzer", a hybrid between Bridge's browser-ness and EM's database-ness, that can search your computer and add EVERY kind of image, including ALL icons (oh, thank your for that ... sheesh!) to the "collection", and several other modules to modify images (Editor), make stuff with them (like books or collections or sets or prints), post 'em online through various services, that sort of thing.

It has many of the tools of Lightroom and Photoshop, does cost a lot less, and irritates me by wanting to step in and do things for me. I need to use it enough to know what it does as I also write for a teaching website on all things photographic, btw. A number of our members use it, and so I need to know it. But as you can always find it for under $100USD (frequently the best price is actually through Adobe, they're always discounting it!), it may be the most cost-efficient program for you. It has some database built-in, and can monitor folder-trees that you tell it to for any "new" images that pop up there. There are a couple on-line service through Adobe this program is SURE you are going to want, but you don't have to use them.

I would suggest, that even if you only do a bit of "bulk" keywording/tagging, that you do so ... storing by date is ok, just a simple tagging of "Bab's b-day", "2010 vacation to Decatur" ... that sort of thing ... can help immensely later on, and is done to whole groups of images at a time, so quick to do.

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: