The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 07:04:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Trying to get organized
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Trying to get organized  (Read 9239 times)
sharpie

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2010, 10:24:17 PM »

After being put in charge of trying to organize our family's digital pictures on multiple hard drives I decided purchase The Dam Book.  We are a young family taking lots of photos with not a lot of time manage them.  Essentially, after our cards become full, I download the card on an external hard drive (virgin copy) and make a dvd back-up copy using Toast.  I am using an iMac.  I am trying to get organized and after reading the book have become confused with what direction to go in and seek advice.  I am trying to decide on a workflow that will keep myself and our photos organized while our collection grows each day.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 03:52:47 AM »

Chris

You'll need to say a bit more about the problem. What software do you have available? Are you talking about raw files, jpegs, video? Are you following the bucket system?

John
sharpie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 06:09:43 PM »

I am on an Apple system using Leopard.  Our house shoots JPEGs on Canon 50D and G9, no time for RAW right now and HD video.  When I switched to a Apple I started out using iPhoto, but had a few issues and after trying to get educated realized this might not be the best solution.  I have Aperture 2 and played around with it, but after reading the book I have become hesitant to use it.  So, currently I do not use any photo software.  After each card is full, I download it into it 's own file.  I use a year, month, day folder structure with 2010.02.20 dating name.  I don't necessarily need a program to edit the pictures b/c I don't have time to now.  That being said, I will go with whatever the best solution is.  Aperture 3?? Lightroom?? or even EM (how long will it be supported, not a lot of good pr lately)?? 

Chris
syncrasy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:20:12 PM »

Chris,

I'm not an expert, but it strikes me that your needs aren't very extensive. Do you have a need for extensive keywording, Web gallery creation, managing a stock or commercial photo database, etc.? Or do you simply want a way to organize/browse family photos? I don't mean to say that you won't benefit from, or enjoy using a DAM but, is it possible your needs could be met by the ImageBrowser software package that came with your Canon cameras? Or did you already try it and not like it? Perhaps if you could articulate what you actually want to do with your photos after putting them on your computer, some of the experts here could help you match your needs with appropriate software.

--Mark

Nikon D300 | Nikon Capture NX 2 | Photoshop CS2 | Expression Media 2 | Mac Pro | Mac OS 10.6.8 | 10GB RAM
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 11:50:53 AM »

Chris,
You might want to consider Aperture 3, or Lightroom. One big issue - are the photos mostly accessed from ne computer, or do multiple people need to access the computer?

Peter
sharpie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 05:03:32 PM »

John & Peter,
What do I want to do with these photos?  I would like to keep our family photos organized, backed up, and future proofed.  I would also like to be able to pull up photos on a laptop anywhere in the house without having to go to the main computer.  I purchased Peter's book because (to quote Peter) a "photographer who places a great personal value on his pictures".

Chris
sharpie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:02:31 PM »

John & Peter,
What do I want to do with these photos?  I would like to keep our family photos organized, backed up, and future proofed.  I would also like to be able to pull up photos on a laptop anywhere in the house without having to go to the main computer.  I purchased Peter's book because I am (to quote Peter) a "photographer who places a great personal value on his pictures".

Chris
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 09:48:24 AM »

Chris,
The toughest thing in the task list is to be able to access the archive from multiple computers.  You can use a distribution catalog, as I outline in the book, but it can be a real hassle to push the work done in the distribution catalog back into the main archive.  At the moment, there is no perfect solution.
Peter
Ken

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 09:20:20 AM »

John & Peter,
What do I want to do with these photos?  I would like to keep our family photos organized, backed up, and future proofed.  I would also like to be able to pull up photos on a laptop anywhere in the house without having to go to the main computer.  I purchased Peter's book because (to quote Peter) a "photographer who places a great personal value on his pictures".

Chris

Chris,

Do you want to pull up the files for viewing or for editing form the various computers?  If the former, then it seems that you may have some reasonably easy solutions, like some kind of home server arrangement.  If the latter, then I would agree with Peter's comments above.  Have you also considered a service like SmugMug in addition to what you decide to do at home?  It can easily be incorporated with Lightroom, allows easy access to viewing images, and gives you an additional copy of your image off site, albeit not necessarily in original form.  Some thoughts for consideration.

Good luck,

--Ken
sharpie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 09:25:21 PM »

Ken,
I would be doing any photo work on a main computer.  I would like to be able to access these photos from a different computer in the house.  So yes, I am looking at a possible home server type arrangement.  Would I be better off with Aperture 3, Lightroom, Photo Mechanic or EM2?  Any thoughts??
Thanks,
Chris
Ken

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 09:26:46 AM »

Hi Chris,

I can only comment a bit on Lightroom because I have not used the other software packages.  Generally, LR does not play well with servers.  But, since you are mostly confining your image editing to the main computer, you may be able to set it for LR and the server to "play well together".  This would limit your ability to use LR on other machines to read the server files, but that does not preclude you from using other software if you just want to be able to view or copy an image.  Its not an ideal arrangement, but it could work.

I am reaching a bit here, but you could use LR on the main machine, and then export imges to your server or the web.  Although this adds a second step, it may be fairly easy to create a workflow like this in LR.  This would also "protect" the image files that LR has registered, as they would really only be accessed by you in LR.  But, you now have your images in two places, albeit the exported copy is "disposable".  Its just a suggestion, but YMMV.

--Ken
sharpie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 10:16:33 PM »

Ken,
Thanks for your ideas.  I will play around with Lightroom and/or Aperture to see what feels comfortable and try to come up with a server type solution as you suggest.
Chris
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 02:22:53 AM »

Chris

Lightroom cannot have its database on a server - you have to have it locally. However, the actual photos can reside on another machine or a server. I keep my photos on my main deslktop PC which is where my master Lightroom catalogue is located. But I can put a copy of the master Lightroom catalogue on my laptops (one's a Mac, the other's a PC) and call over pictures whenever I need. OK, transferring over a wireless network is slow, but I only do this for small numbers of files. After doing whatever I want to do to the pictures, I can copy the laptop catalogue back over the master catalogue. Or I can use File > Export as Catalog to take the work back to the master catalogue and merge it with the master catalogue (needed when I've done further work on the desktop PC too). So once you know what you're doing, Lightroom has this kind of workflow covered.

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 10:11:43 AM »

Chris,
If you have a local installation of whatever program on the satellite computers, then you could drag the catalog over and use it locally on that machine.  This would probably be easiest with Expression Media due to the smaller size of the catalogs. (There is also a free reader, so you could do this with licensed software without having to buy any additional licenses).

If you wanted to do some work on the satellite computer, you could even use the notepad feature to send back up to 5 groupings of images to the primary version of the catalog.
Peter
sharpie

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 08:47:22 PM »

Thank you all for all of your ideas.  I will and have been experimenting with different suggestions.

Chris
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: