The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 04:51:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Scripting
| | |-+  Cannot get Expression Media 2 to append suffix to filenames in batch rename
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cannot get Expression Media 2 to append suffix to filenames in batch rename  (Read 4329 times)
Jon Bradley

View Profile Email
« on: February 16, 2010, 02:17:42 AM »

I'm trying to append various suffixes to filenames as per DAM best practice but am unable to do so in Batch rename without renaming (and therefore renumbering) the files.  I've seen a previous thread which says I should be able to do this, so not sure what I'm missing here.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
Jon.
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:51:50 AM »

Are you doing it by scripting?

You need to look carefully at your settings in the rename dialog. Maybe save the one with renumbering, and then create a new one which appends the suffix.

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 11:09:34 AM »

Jon,
If you are still having the problem, why don't you post the desired before ad after filenames here.
Peter
Jon Bradley

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:17:47 AM »

Dear John and Peter,

Thanks both very much for your replies, and sorry for the delay in coming back to you.
I'm not using a script John, I'm using the Expression 2 Batch rename option.  I want to: 1) change a filename suffix from upper to lower case or vice versa, and 2) to append the filename itself:

Examples 1) from Bradley_100301_0001.jpg to Bradley_100301.JPG, and 2)  from Bradley_100301_0001.jpg to Bradley_100301_0001a.jpg

Note I don't always want to do these at the same time.

Another question I have is if the only way to duplicate annnotations between files is to use the script available on Peter's site.  I have it but I can't get it to work?

Thanks so much in advance gentlemen....

Jon.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 05:49:58 AM »

Jon,
Is there a reason to make the change? JUst aesthetics?
In any case, I can do the first one as a two-step process.  Here are screenshots.  In the first step, you use the Format line to change all text to uppercase.  Int he second, you use replace to change your originator name string back to upper and lower case.
For some reason using "replace" does not allow jpg to be changed to JPG in one single step.
Peter

Jon Bradley

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:55:19 AM »

Hi Peter,

Thanks very much indeed for your reply, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you once again. 
Problems in getting into the DAM forum about a month ago meant I looked for other solutions, and found a very good
programme for batch altering filenames, called "A Better Finder Rename 8"  (catchy name, isn't it?)  It lets you change
filenames in any way you can imagine, all in one go.

On another note, I've got to start supplying my wedding clients with both proof books and a slideshow, and thought
Aperture 3 would be the best programme to cover both these needs?  Would you agree?

Hope you're well, and best wishes,

Jon.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 03:44:35 PM »

Jon,
I did not notice this post here until just now. I assume you've probably figured it out, but you could use either Aperture or Lightrom 3 for this.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: