Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
geosetter , streets in the location
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2021, 10:08:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  GPS/ Geotagging
| | |-+  geosetter , streets in the location
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: geosetter , streets in the location  (Read 20276 times)
mantra

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »

hi
is there a way to add the street number in the location ?
i mean for example , i took some shoots in Florence , street -> via dei bardi 16 (bardi street number 16)

in geosetter i did search via dei bardi 16 florence , and geosetter found the exact point in the map
i assign to the photos
but in the metadata of the photo there is not street

is there a way to add streets in the location?

thanks

Giovanni
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »

Giovani,
The location name is provided by whatever table the program uses. If I recall correctly, you have a choice of look-up tools.
This part of the process is the most imprecise, at the moment.
Peter
mantra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:03:12 PM »

Giovani,
The location name is provided by whatever table the program uses. If I recall correctly, you have a choice of look-up tools.
This part of the process is the most imprecise, at the moment.
Peter
but for example idimager geotag script work great
i mean it add the street in the location
is there a way to edit geosetter to be more precise like idimager 5?

thank you so much

Giovanni
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »

I don't think Peter uses Geosetter. Why not contact the author of the program - I think he has a forum.

John
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 02:39:27 PM »

Giovanni,

Geosetter makes calls to geonames.org to get location details.  IDimager makes calls to Google, which is why you have to enter your Google API key.  If you get data from two different sources then expect there to be differences in the quality of it.

Geosetter relies on freely available data and volunteers to improve and create the location data.  Google, being more commercial, buys this data, and has a lot, lot more of it.  Of course Google will have data at street level.  How else can it sell advertising for the businesses on those streets, or create directions for you to get there?

If you want Geosetter to use the Google data then raise this as a feature request on the Geosetter website.

Ian
mantra

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 11:05:17 PM »

Giovanni,

Geosetter makes calls to geonames.org to get location details.  IDimager makes calls to Google, which is why you have to enter your Google API key.  If you get data from two different sources then expect there to be differences in the quality of it.

Geosetter relies on freely available data and volunteers to improve and create the location data.  Google, being more commercial, buys this data, and has a lot, lot more of it.  Of course Google will have data at street level.  How else can it sell advertising for the businesses on those streets, or create directions for you to get there?

If you want Geosetter to use the Google data then raise this as a feature request on the Geosetter website.

Ian
than Ian can i edit geosetter and set to calls google for the location

Giovanni
mantra

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:52:29 AM »

Giovanni,

Ian

Ian

i gave a look to the idimager script
GPSPanelMain.js
and it uses
Code:
googleDomain: 'http://maps.google.com',
geonamesDomain: 'http://ws.geonames.org'

and it uses
ws.geonames.org too

Giovanni
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:35:28 AM »

Giovanni,

Please don't quote whole messages - it makes it difficult to follow, particularly when you reply more than once to the same message!

Can you make Geosetter use Google?  I don't think so.  However this is not the Geosetter forum so perhaps you should ask at Geosetter?

Yes, IDimager appears to use Google and Geonames.  However if you dig deeper - and not recommended in case you corrupt anything - you will find this comment in the code (in GPSPanelGeocode.js): "we generally favor google over geonames, except for state names, which seem better in geonames".  I think it also prefers the altitude results from geonames as well.

Geonames will never give reliable results at street level as it holds information about single points.  You could sign up to Geonames and create via dei bardi as a road.  The problem is that it is difficult to represent a street as a single point.   If it is a short street then maybe, but via dei bardi is 400m long and number 16 is closer to one end than the other, so searches nearer the other end could produce wrong results.

Google will have this street mapped as a polyline in its database, so can convert any point on it into the street name.

Ian
mantra

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 08:30:36 AM »

Giovanni,

Please don't quote whole messages - it makes it difficult to follow, particularly when you reply more than once to the same message!

Sorry Ian

well i know it's not a geosetter forum , so stop talking about geosetter

is there a good alternative to geosetter?
i mean another program to geotag my photos that uses google and not gonames?

Giovanni
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »

Email Geosetter's developer. He's very communicative.

John
mantra

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 11:59:10 PM »

Email Geosetter's developer. He's very communicative.

John
thanks

i sent an email 1 month ago , but never get an answer Sad

Giovanni

Giovanni
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 01:47:55 AM »

Well, remind him. I exchanged a number of emails with him a while ago.

John
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: