The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 12:23:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Comments about the book
| | |-+  Terrific book but now the dilemma
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Terrific book but now the dilemma  (Read 8024 times)
saratoga

View Profile Email
« on: February 05, 2010, 02:34:57 AM »

Bought the book last week and dived right into it. Not only is it full of very useful info and ideas, it's also a delight to read and browse through; very nicely laid out.

Eager to get started and organise my files, I downloaded the trial version of Expression Media. I've now found out that this may well be a dead horse...it seems I can't even buy a licence anymore and the website links are all wrong.

Do I try and get hold of a cracked copy somewhere Shocked? or explore other possibilities. I worked with Qpict for a while but too buggy and they seem to have stopped developing that as well. I did try lightroom but my mac seemed to struggle for power.

Any ideas on where to go from here. Am happy with how EM works in the trial; its already done a great job of organising my video files.

cheers

Greg
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 08:43:36 AM »

Can you hold out a few months? Lightroom 3 may be out and may help.

Also, say a bit about the sorts of assets - one assumes photos and you say video. But what else? And in what volumes?

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 01:04:01 PM »

Greg,
Yes, I know it's hard to get a hold of right now. I think the only reliable place to get it is from Amazon.
Peter
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:51:41 PM by peterkrogh » Logged
saratoga

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 06:02:27 PM »

thanks for the replies.

Its all photos and some video on several different external drives. I would estimate around 20,000 differerent photos plus video. A mixture of NEF, jpeg, tiffs and psd files mainly and dv and HDV video.

I looked on amazon but amazingly it says that they will only ship EM to the US which doesn't help me here in oz..... don't understand that reasoning at all. Also is it even worth buying if they have stopped developing it...it would only mean migrating to another system in another year or so.

My mac (powerbook PPC and OSX 10.4.11) serves me fine for what I do at the moment, but to keep up with the software it looks like I may have to upgrade soon and perhaps then I can run Lightroom ok.

cheers

Greg
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »

Greg,
IS your stuff reasonably well organized at the moment, or are you going to need to use the software to help you sort out disorganization and duplication?
Peter
saratoga

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »

Sorry to say this Peter but its absolute chaos!

Have been caught up before trying to back ups, duplicate etc.

Wish I had your book then...like you say there.....complete each part of the project before moving on. Unfortunately I'd start with good intent, get part way through and then get busy with other work..so set it aside for months.....and then the chaos and duplication started!!

Am definately going to need software to soft out the mess!
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 08:13:58 PM »

Greg,
Well, Lightroom is not going to be a lot of help in sorting out duplication, and other disorganization.
If you were committed and ready to work, you could to the organizational work with EM during the trial period, and then switch to something else once the main de-duplicatin and other organization was created.

If you are willing to run in a virtualized environment, maybe idImager would work.
Peter
saratoga

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 09:33:05 PM »

thanks Peter

I have found a new complete copy for $200.....seems to be sealed in the box and everything. I have found the trial version such an asset to my video work so far that I think its worth getting just for that. If I can get my photos organised on top that, that will justify buying into what appears to be on its last legs. Hopefully it would still prove a valuable tool to me for several years yet.

It would also mean I can follow along closely with your recommendations in the book.

cheers

Greg
saratoga

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 03:07:46 AM »

i managed to get a brand new sealed copy off Ebay for $200 so have received that and am pretty happy. if I get a few years out of it that will be ok; that should give me more than enough time to get my files in some sort of order.
george

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 08:23:30 AM »

Hi Greg,

I understand you're eager to sort out the chaos, but with EM it's likely you'll have to migrate to another program eventually (consistent with Peter's "serial monogamy" concept for DAM).  As Peter mentioned, running IDimager in a windows virtual machine, for example VMWare's Fusion product (that's what I'm doing), is a real option and it's possible you won't have to migrate to another DAM as soon as you may have to with EM.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

--George
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 08:49:03 AM »

...consistent with Peter's "serial monogamy" concept for DAM)....

Hey, that's my analogy, bud! Peter doesn't have the (warped) sense of humour to come up with that!

John
saratoga

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 09:17:11 AM »

thanks George

I just checked it out....its only for Intel based macs; unfortunately I'm still behind the times a bit running 10.4.11 on a G4 powerbook.

Am getting the hang of EM quite quickly and know I'll have to change in future. If I can get everything tagged and in order I'll be right to migrate easily to a new system when the time comes around. Working with the book examples at the moment also makes it nice and straight forward.

cheers

Greg
george

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 09:29:42 AM »

Hey, that's my analogy, bud! Peter doesn't have the (warped) sense of humour to come up with that!
Sorry about the misattribution John, but I yield to nobody when it comes to a perverted sense of humor!  Smiley

--George
george

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 09:32:55 AM »

That's true, Greg--it's only for Intel Macs.  Just got my first Mac and I'm very happy with its native performance and the way it runs windows.

--George
syncrasy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 02:29:56 PM »

Hi Greg,

I understand you're eager to sort out the chaos, but with EM it's likely you'll have to migrate to another program eventually (consistent with Peter's "serial monogamy" concept for DAM).  As Peter mentioned, running IDimager in a windows virtual machine, for example VMWare's Fusion product (that's what I'm doing), is a real option and it's possible you won't have to migrate to another DAM as soon as you may have to with EM.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

--George

George,

I'm also an iView/EM user with an older Power Mac G5. I'm content with using EM until I absolutely have to get a new Mac (I hope not for at least another year or two).

Regarding IDimager in a virtual Windows environment... I have my doubts as to whether this will be attractive option due to the interrelationships between my DAM and other software programs. For example, in EM I can right-mouse click a thumbnail and choose "Open in Nikon Capture NX2" or "Open in Photoshop". I could be wrong, but I doubt a DAM software running in virtual Windows can "see" my Photoshop, etc., on the Mac side. I can't justify purchasing redundant sets of software for Windows; I'd rather have my DAM and my image software all on the same (Mac) platform. Please correct me if I'm underestimating the power of an Intel Mac/virtual Windows setup.

--Mark

Nikon D300 | Nikon Capture NX 2 | Photoshop CS2 | Expression Media 2 | Mac Pro | Mac OS 10.6.8 | 10GB RAM
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: