Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rank and File a one way street?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 07:10:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  iView MediaPro
| | |-+  Rank and File a one way street?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rank and File a one way street?  (Read 4973 times)
Jonathan Kingston

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2006, 03:11:08 PM »

Greetings,

I just purchased "Rank and File" and it is working fine sending star and color ratings from Bridge to Iview Media Pro V3.0.2, however i cannot seem to get bridge to see star and color ratings that i have assigned files in IVMP.  (I have tried exporting annotatoins from Iview to origional files).

I do all of my edits in IVMP and would really love to make this work.  Is it possible or is "Rank and File" a one way street?

Thanks in advance!

-Jonathan Kingston
Joe Reifer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 03:42:41 PM »

Hi Jonathan -

Once you Sync Annotations in iView, the star ratings and labels should be visible in Bridge.
What format are your image files, and are you on a Mac or PC?

Cheers,

Joe

Canon digital, Mac OS 10.45, iView 3.02
Jonathan Kingston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 07:11:42 PM »

Hi Joe,

I am working on a Mac Book Pro (intel) and the specific files i am working with are Kodak RAW files from the SLR/N camera.  Do the files need to be converted to the .DNG format for this to work?  I have not tried syncing from any other file formats. 

Thanks for your help.

-Jonathan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 10:00:27 PM »

Joe is exactly right, you need to sync the ratings back to the original file from iViw for the to be seen by Bridge.

Rank and File will take Bridge XMP data and make it more discoverable by writing it to IPTC.  It is not a universal translator.
Peter
Joe Reifer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 10:53:14 AM »

Hi Jonathan -

According to the iView documentation, you should be able to sync your annotations to Kodak RAW files directly, without having to convert to DNG. I would make a copy of some RAW files and test first by annotating in iView, Syncing Annotations, and then looking at File - Info in Photoshop to see what happened.

Cheers,

Joe

Canon digital, Mac OS 10.45, iView 3.02
Jonathan Kingston

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 11:37:05 AM »

Thanks Joe,

I was able to annotate my raw files in IVMP, sync the annotations and see the changes in both Bridge and Photoshop CS2.  It seems that the only thing that is not coming over from IVMP to Bridge are the star ratings and color labels.  A bit baffled by this.  Is there some command i need to do in Bridge (in "Rank and File") to import these star ratings and color labels from IVMP?

Best,

Jonathan
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 11:50:31 AM »

Jonathan,
The Labels in Bridge are actually the IPTC Urgency field.  This is entirely distinct from the Label functionality in Bridge.  The workaround is a couple of steps.

Select all items with a label in iView
Assign an appropriate keyword for that label
Sync the Annotations
Open in Bridge
Search for all items with that keyword
Select all those files and assign the Bridge Label.

Kind of a huge pain, I know.

Out of curiosity.  Why do you want the labels from iView to be visible in Bridge?  I would suggest a more "one way" workflow from Bridge to iView.
Peter
Jonathan Kingston

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 01:18:43 PM »

Thanks Peter,

That works just fine.  Just so you know, I just tried working on a TIFF file rather than a Kodak SLR/N raw file and everything synced perfectly including the star ratings.  So it seems to be specific to the SLRN raw files.  One of those funny little quirks in computer land i suppose. 

I am used to doing my initial pull in Iview (using the lightbox feature) because of its speed and functionality (histograms, focus preview etc) and prefer it to the Bridge for tagging (both metadata as well as star/label ratings) because of speed.  It will be teriffic being able to see my ratings in bridge!

Best,

Jonathan
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: