Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
CS2 won't open renamed files
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 07:42:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  iView MediaPro
| | |-+  CS2 won't open renamed files
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CS2 won't open renamed files  (Read 8640 times)
Dave C706

View Profile Email
« on: March 24, 2006, 11:41:35 PM »

I am using Peter's DAM strategy to catalog photo files.  I've started with some older, previously converte files (from Canon D60 raw to TIFF).  I've used Bridge to batch rename with 3 initials_4digit sequence_YYYYMMDD.file type (dlb_0001_20010502.TIFF).  I've also added Batch data w/template in Bridge, added ratings and labels, imported to iView MP 3.0.2, where I've added final keywords.  Now when I try to open files into Photoshop CS2 either from iView or Bridge, I get the message "could not complete your request because Photoshop does not recognize this type of file."  Some files will open, some not, but I can find no consistent attributes why some open while others don't.  To further confuse me, I can open all the files from iView with Capture One, and just for fun, I imported the same files into Aperture and can open all the files from Aperture with Photoshop as the external editor.

I've already got a dozen hours in this process with only a small fraction of my photos "organized", but won't go any further until/unless I can resolve this issue.  Any thoughts?

Dave
Joe Reifer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 01:17:54 PM »

Hi Dave -

Is TIFF the only file format where you're having a problem?
Is there a reason why you're archiving TIFF's converted from RAW files instead of just the RAW files (have they been worked on in Photoshop?).
If the same files are recognized by Photoshop, Aperture, and C1, maybe it's an iView issue?

Cheers,

Joe

Canon digital, Mac OS 10.45, iView 3.02
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 02:11:11 PM »

Dave,
I wonder if you have a problem with Photoshop, corrupted preferences or some such thing.
Have you tried to open any of the files on a different machine?
Did you sync the annotations back from iView?  This would be the only time iView would actually touch the files.
Is it possible that the files that won't open share a label in iView?
Peter
Dave C706

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »

Hi Joe,

These are older files converted from raw to tif.  I've isolated the problem to Photoshop.  When I batch rename these tif files, some of the new renamed files won't open in photoshop.  There is no predictibility to which ones open and which don't.  I can do a batch rename in iView and they seem to work, but I like the additional flexibility I have w/ Bridge.  JPEGs and Raw files are OK.  Both strange and frustrating.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 02:22:18 PM »

I would say to contact Adobe.  That sounds like a bad bug (or corrupted software/preferences).
Peter
Dave C706

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 08:40:33 PM »

Peter,

Impressive how you  monitor these threads - thanks.  Adobe tech wasn't much help - had no data on this problem.  I'll see if I can escalate the issue.  Other than the fact that I'm anal about things working as they should, is there any practical reason not to just use iView to append metadata?  My original plan was to rename and add universal metada in Bridge, then do groupings and individual keywords in iView and sync.  My work-around is to just do all in iView.  I like the bigger thumbnails in Bridge on a dual monitor setup, but other than that, is there any downside to just using iView?
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 06:36:40 AM »

I see no reason the proposed workflow won't work.  It's pretty much what I advocate.
Why are you converting from RAW to TIFF?

Bigger thumbnails in Bridge? Do you have iView set to build 640 thumbnails?  Or are you talking about the large preview in Filmstrip mode?
Peter
Dave C706

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 12:15:58 PM »

I was talking about the larger previews in Filmstrip.  I am in the middle of my tech support session w/Adobe, but my day job intereferes!  I don't convert to TIFF anymore, but I am trying to catalog older files where my workflow was to use C1 as my raw converter.  As a result, my older "digital negatives" are TIFF files.  These are the files that are not happy in Bridge with batch conversions and/or bulk metadata annotations.  Are you aware of any reason that TIFF files won't accept annotations?
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 12:41:08 PM »

Dave,
I'm not aware of any such issues (doesn't mean they don't exist).  Did C1 Pro make these TIFF files?  None of these are the Canon TIF RAW files are they? (from, I think, the first 1D).
Peter
Dave C706

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 01:42:35 PM »

Yes, these files were created by C1 Pro.  I'll continue my efforts with Adobe.  Your suggested system works with my newer RAW files, so I'm only having to work around on the older TIFF files.  I just don't like having something not work when it's supposed to, it concerns me about the long-term integrity of these files.  Anyway, thanks so much for all your attention.

Dave
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: