Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
PSD Metadata disappearing under Windows 7 64-bit
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 07:15:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  PSD Metadata disappearing under Windows 7 64-bit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PSD Metadata disappearing under Windows 7 64-bit  (Read 6049 times)
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« on: February 02, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »

I've just noticed that if I make metadata changes to a PSD file in Bridge or elsewhere and then sync the changes to EM2 (service pack 2), all the metadata for that file in the catalog disappears (just disappears from the catalog, not the image file). Doesn't matter if I use Replace or either of the Merge options.  I've tried removing the file from the catalog and re-importing it but that doesn't seem to work. TIFF and JPG files are fine, as are dng files.
This wasn't happening under Windows XP Pro but I just upgraded my system to Windows 7 64-bit. Not sure why that would make a difference.
I've tried importing a catalog file (saved under XP) as a new catalog and still have the problem.

Any ideas out there?

thanks,
rod
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 09:21:59 PM »

Rod,
Hmm, this could be a couple things. 

Could be a flat-out bug in the program.
Could be a problem with whatever tool EM is using on your system to parse the file.

A question:
Are you syncing the metadata, or is this happening on its own?
Are you using Quicktime to render for EM? (I can't remember what the options are for XP - QT vs. WIC)

A couple tests.
Can you make a new catalog and import the file, and see the data?
If you save as TIFF, does the problem remain?
If QT is not installed, try installing it.

Peter
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 12:45:02 PM »

Hi Peter,

This happens when I sync metadata from source to catalog on PSD files only. If I save the file as a TIFF it works fine.

QT is installed.
I've tried creating a new catalog and importing the file. Same problem.

Like I mentioned, I didn't have this problem under XP, it's just shown up under Windows 7 (Pro 64-bit)
When I open the catalog, the metadata for PSDs is there. So the program is reading what's already in the catalog just fine. It's just when I sync from the original files that the information is eliminated from the catalog. It's as if the fields are empty, but I know they're not because the info is viewable in Bridge or PS File Info.
I can sync from the catalog to the original PSD files, but when I try syncing back from the files to the catalog, everything disappears.
i guess it's not a huge issue as I can simply save the PSD files to TIFF; I don't have any particular reason to save as PSD in the first place.

rod
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »

Rod,
To get this straight - it's not the issue with updating, it's as though EM can't see any metadata in any PSDs at all, right?

I'm guessing this is a quicktime problem.  I'm not sure how to test exactly - other than to see if you can download and use WIC to be the parsing application on the system. Also, is your quicktime current?

Peter

rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »

It seems that EM can't see any metadata in the PSD files. I can sync from EM to PSD files but I can't sync from PSD files to EM.
QuickTime is up to date. not sure how to use WIC other than to make that change in the EM preferences.

rod
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 01:21:19 PM »

Rod,
Did you try making the preference change?
Peter
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 03:26:01 PM »

Yep, made that change. and back. Also tried changing the Field Names preferences (IPTC Core, Photoshop CS, Microsoft Expression Media).
I've also tried saving some tiff files as PSD both with and without full compatibility (PS preference) and then updating the folder in EM. The new psd images show up in the catalog, thumbnails look fine, just no metadata.
At this point it's getting to be more of a hassle than it's worth and somewhat of a curiousity. If I continue to use EM then I'll just save as TIFF rather than PSD.

I've also tried this test on my laptop, which is Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and I'm seeing the same problem. Created a psd image from a jpg, added metadata to both and created a whole new catalog. the metadata for the jpg shows up in the catalog but not the psd.

rod
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 04:09:50 PM »

Rod,
Bummer.
Peter
rod barbee

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 04:27:29 PM »

Yeah, well, what're you gonna to do?  Undecided