Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ALERT - Seagate Firmware Problem - Data at Risk
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2020, 04:35:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Hardware Discussions
| | |-+  ALERT - Seagate Firmware Problem - Data at Risk
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: ALERT - Seagate Firmware Problem - Data at Risk  (Read 89589 times)
barbaramiller

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 12:39:46 AM »

Brian:

I am just about to put a bunch (3) Seagate ST31500341AS drives into service, so I'm more than a little concerned with your posting.  How do you find out the firmware version?

I was going to start a new thread about SMART data, but can't figure out how to start a new thread.  So this partly applies here.

Disc Utility says that SMART is not supported for my external drives in the Burly.  But they seem to be tracked by Smart Reporter and Smart Utility and Tech Tool Pro 4 (I haven't loaded Disc Warrior yet).

Smart Reporter and Tech Tool Pro 4 pass both ST31500341AS drives in the Burly, as well as my Seagate Momentus Mac HD (which Disc Utility also verifys). 

I can only seem to find the SMART Report for the MAC HD in Tech Tool Pro, even though it checked and passed the drives in the Burly.

Smart Reporter does not seem to offer me a detailed log, like Smart Utility and Tech Tool Pro.

Smart Utility 2.1.2 (Voltans)  however reports all 3 drives (the 2 in the Burly and my Mac HD) as failing.

The Mac HD due to Airflow Temperature Celsius  (marked as failed in the past), with a raw value of 40. And spin up and reallocated sectors as prefail.

The Burly drives (ST31500341AS) are both tagged by Smart Utility as failing due to reallocated bad sectors. 
One had 3 bad sectors (probably the drive that I already zeroed out, which passed their short test without error).  Haven't pulled the drives to check the serial numbers yet to see which is which.
The other Seagate 1.5TB drive  (probably the one I have not yet zeroed, had a read failure in their short test - seems an error), had 112 Reallocated bad sectors, 7 current pending bad sectors, and 7 removed uncorrectable bad sectors.

I'm not sure what to make of this:

MacHD passes SMART in 3 utilities fine.  And fails in Smart Utility (BTW, it does not feel hot).
Burly enclosed ST31500341AS pass SMART in 2 utilities (not supported in Disc Utility) and are failing according to Smart Utility.

I have not yet migrated my data from my old external Hard drive.  Was about to after SMART testing.  So both the Seagate 1/5TB drives still have no data transfered on to them.  Is the SMART reporting still valid?  Peter?

I have not yet discussed this with Rick at MacGurus; but I know that he thinks that SMART data is unreliable and not very helpful in predicting drive failure.

Thanks for any input,

Barbara

I have 2 now in my Burly 2 bay, w/ Sonnet Tempo 2 Port Express 34 host card in my MBPro v3,1, Itel Core 2 duo, 2.4 GHz, 4GB memory, still my Seagate Momentus 7200rpm, 160 MB, OS X.4.11
barbaramiller

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 12:48:04 AM »

BTW, I have a recently cloned bootable backup of my Mac HD.  Smiley

Barbara Miller

bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2010, 02:32:27 PM »

In this economy, what a horrendous bummer.  About 6 months ago, I bought 8 1.5 TB seagate drives, and 2 1TB drives, for about 1,250$.  I had not had time to install them
until now.  I thought I was safe, as they all have the CC1H firmware, which Seagate CLAIMS are ok.  But, guess what?  They are not.  Any of these drives in my Burly or Sonnet JOBD drives will autodismount after 15 minutes.  Complete waste. 

The reviews on the 2TB Seagate drives are awful, 50% failure rate.  Seagate and Toyota must be owned by the same company. 

Thanks Seagate. 
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »

Details for the 1,250$ Seagate Flush.
Mac Pro - 2.66GHZ 7 Gigs Ram
Burly 5 Bay Box  - JOBD
Sonnet D500P Box  - JOBD
Burly 1 Bay Box
Sonnet E4P card
8X  1.5TB Seagate drives with bad serials numbers, but alleged ok/or 'marginal' firmware, ie> CC1H

Problem: All drives in the Burly or Sonnet Box will autodismount from the desktop after 15 minutes.

Attempts to fix: Repair permissions. Re-seat E4P card in Mac Pro. Dust internals of Mac Pro, Burly, and Sonnet Boxes. Power on and off the box. Switch e-sata cables.
I even put an old 400Gig drive in the MacPro, and installed a new OSX on the drive, and.....all the box drives dismount.  Contacted Sonnet. Contacted MacGurus.
Sonnet says not a problem with their card or box.  MacGurus says they have mixed results with the alleged 'ok' CC1H firmware.

Puzzle.  The 1.5 Seagate drives will stay mounted in a single Burly box.  But, this is consistent with reports of the Seagate drives having problems in multi
bay boxs, either as JOBD or RAID.

Future attempts at remedies:  Call Seagate (I now call them SeaCrap).  I expect they will claim the CC1H firmware is ok.
Contact Amazon, and see what the chances are of getting money back after I sat on these drives for 6 months.

Probable outcome? Stuck with 1,250$ of SeaCrap. 

Ultimate Solution? Put the drives in a new Toyota, with Tiger Woods driving, and tell them all to hit the road.
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »

To confirm the problem is the bad Seagate drives, when I pull all the 1.5 TB drives with the 'OK' (NOT!) CC1H firmware
out of the Burly box.....all the other drives which are not the bad batch work....FINE.  Problem is verified as isolated
to the 1.5 TB SeaCrap drives.
Brian
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »

Ok, Disregard the above post, where I said pulling the 1.5 TB drives out left the remaining
drives ok.  Even without the 1.5 TB drives in, the remaining older drives STILL dismounted.
Now I am just not sure what is going on.  The Sonnet E4P card has the latest driver.
I have not upgraded to Snow Leopard.....No idea how to figure this out if it's not the 1.5TB bad Sea drives.

Or, have the Sea drives corrupted something?  It's not the Burly box or the Sonnet box, as they
both drop.  Not the OS, as I installed a new OS on a separate test drive.  Problem with the card?

Disk Warrior time?

Brian
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2010, 10:40:33 PM »

Brian,
Power supply?
Peter
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2010, 09:45:55 AM »

Hi Peter,
I don't think it's a power issue.  The Sonnet only has an 80W power supply, but the Burly
has a 300W power supply, which is more than enough.  Also, even with just 3 off the 5 Burly
bays filled with older 400 and 500 Gig drives, the drives still drop. 

Rick at MacGurus says it must be the card.
But, single drive in single Burly case = ok, even a 'bad' drive is ok in the single burly.

What's left?
Power supply? No.  300W and 3 of 5 bays filled = drop
Card? Unsure.  Single burly drive works fine, but not a multi bay config.
Drives? Unsure.  A 'bad' 1.5 drive works fine in the single Burly case
Sonnet Card Driver? Maybe.  Updated the driver, but it does not show under 'extensions' in the system profiler - suspicious?
Sonnet Card? Maybe. But why does the Single Burly still work fine?
MacOS? installed a fresh os on a Zeroed drive = Still drops?
DiskWarrior 4.2? Ran it = drops
Repair Permissions? Many times = drops
Restart? Works for 15 min. then drops
MacPro itself? What would I test?

Steps?
Call SeaGate
Take MacPro to Apple Store for a tune up and check? But, they won't check the Sonnet card.
Buy New Mac Pro? Not in this economy
Mac Medics?
Chesapeake Systems?

Brian
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2010, 11:32:09 AM »

Hope I'm not too 'post happy' here. 
I don't know anything about 'testing' drives for bad sectors, etc.
But doing so would seem to make sense. 
I have the latest version of Drive Genius, which will do that.
I'll try that, but the drive will most likely dismount before it's finished.
Worth a shot.
Brian
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: