The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 03:26:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  dpBestflow.org Discussions
| | |-+  "Use a card reader and not the camera for downloading image files ..." ???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Use a card reader and not the camera for downloading image files ..." ???  (Read 4082 times)
Dick Holtman

View Profile Email
« on: January 16, 2010, 06:12:28 AM »

On the Ingestion page it is stated "Use a card reader and not the camera for downloading image files unless you are shooting tethered".

What is the advantage of using a card reader, except for speed?
Is it more secure?

Somehow I have the feeling that inserting and ejecting the card in my camera in the long run will wear out the contacts??

At this moment I use the default program from Canon to ingest. With SyncBack I make a verified copy to the backup device.
Then I add GPS information with GeoSetter. Lastly I import my photo's into Lightroom where I rename etc. At this point I will also rename the backup files.
If I forget, then the next time I run SyncBack it will show the simulation page before executing the backup.
george

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:02:29 AM »

What is the advantage of using a card reader, except for speed?
Is it more secure?

Somehow I have the feeling that inserting and ejecting the card in my camera in the long run will wear out the contacts??
Hi Dick,

Card readers are substantially faster, so that's a big advantage.  Also, looking at my cameras, the contacts for the cards seem more substantial that the relatively flimsy cable connectors.

--George
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:18:11 PM »

Yup, that's it. Wearing out a card reader (or even a card) would be better than wearing out the USB or FW port on the camera.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: