Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Idimager on a Mac
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2020, 01:48:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  idImager
| | |-+  Idimager on a Mac
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Idimager on a Mac  (Read 16798 times)
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 14, 2010, 09:56:07 PM »

I started a thread on this topic over at the forum and have received some good information that I thought would be worth sharing here for anyone entertaining the idea http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?p=68305#p68305.  You can purchase Windows XP for under $100 today.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 04:29:08 PM »

Dan,
I'm really anxious to know, but I don't have time to test right now.  Let me know when you get a report about VMware.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:04:41 PM »

Peter,

Will do.  Just curious, any particular reason why you're interested in VMware seeing as it's not free.  I heard reports that VirtualBox performs better and is free, but of course I really have no experience with either of these.  Our servers at my day job use VMware though.  It is very popular in the server market.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
george

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:55:28 AM »

Hi Dan & Peter,

I should have some info shortly.  I ordered an iMac and intend to run IDimager in VMWare's fusion as Dan & I discussed over on the IDimager forum.  Two weeks for delivery though.

--George
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 09:15:56 AM »

George,

Great!  Looking forward to the results.

Dan

havezet

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »

I should have some info shortly.  I ordered an iMac and intend to run IDimager in VMWare's fusion as Dan & I discussed over on the IDimager forum.  Two weeks for delivery though.

Congrats with your purchase George! The iMac is a great machine. Looking forward to your results with IDI in virtualization software.

Hert

Author of IDimager
http://www.idimager.com
george

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 11:53:22 AM »

Congrats with your purchase George! The iMac is a great machine. Looking forward to your results with IDI in virtualization software.

Hert
Thanks Hert.  I figure if you like the iMac for IDimager development, it should be good for running IDimager!

--George
george

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:53:56 PM »

Hi Peter & Dan,

Finally got my Mac and was able to put IDimager to work.  It definitely feels snappy, especially compared to my 5 year old PC. Here's what I'm using:  Hardware: iMac with 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel i7, 8 GB memory, 7200 RPM 2 TB SATA hard drive. Software: Windows XP SP3 running under VMWare 3 with 3 GB memory allocated to the Windows virtual machine, IDimager 5.0.3.  If there's anything someone would like to see benchmarked, I'll certainly try to do it (no guarantees as my day job keeps me busy).  Unfortunately, I've never used Iview/Expression media, so I can't compare my current setup head to head with that program.  I'm on a 30 day trial of VMWare, and if I get a chance, I may try Parallels as that product is likely faster:

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/

Bottom line:  I know cross-platform compatibility is an important feature of IView/EM for Peter, but running IDimager in a virtual machine on a Mac is a very viable option for those that want to stay with their Mac hardware.

--George
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 09:34:25 AM »

Just wanted to say this thread is continuing to gather more inputs and information over at the IDI forum http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?p=68305#p68305.

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 11:27:37 AM »

Dan,
Thanks for the link.  Looks like you guys are sorting this one ut.  Seems promising.
Peter
syncrasy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:54:04 PM »

Hi Peter & Dan,

Finally got my Mac and was able to put IDimager to work.  It definitely feels snappy, especially compared to my 5 year old PC. Here's what I'm using:  Hardware: iMac with 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel i7, 8 GB memory, 7200 RPM 2 TB SATA hard drive. Software: Windows XP SP3 running under VMWare 3 with 3 GB memory allocated to the Windows virtual machine, IDimager 5.0.3.  If there's anything someone would like to see benchmarked, I'll certainly try to do it (no guarantees as my day job keeps me busy).  Unfortunately, I've never used Iview/Expression media, so I can't compare my current setup head to head with that program.  I'm on a 30 day trial of VMWare, and if I get a chance, I may try Parallels as that product is likely faster:

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.25/25.04/VMBenchmarks/

Bottom line:  I know cross-platform compatibility is an important feature of IView/EM for Peter, but running IDimager in a virtual machine on a Mac is a very viable option for those that want to stay with their Mac hardware.

--George

OK, but how does this setup affect your workflow? I had written in your other thread that I would be disappointed to lose a valuable function of EM: the Helper Application menu that pops up when you right click a thumbnail (e.g., Open in Photoshop, Open in Nikon Capture NX2, etc.).

Don't you now have to do your cataloguing in Windows and then toggle over to Mac OS to actually open/edit your images? If so, do you care? Perhaps I could get used to it, but it would be an annoying/unnecessary step in my workflow if I were to adopt this set up.

--Mark

Nikon D300 | Nikon Capture NX 2 | Photoshop CS2 | Expression Media 2 | Mac Pro | Mac OS 10.6.8 | 10GB RAM
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:43 PM »

Mark,

That's actually a good question I had not thought of.  I would hope that most VM's support inter-process communication with their hosts.  If so, I think this would be a very good feature request for IDimager.  I would recommend asking about this at the IDimager forum.

Peter,

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac, and I don't really have the time to test a VM anyway, but hopefully we will continue to get more information.  I would really love to see VMware Fusion 3 running on a newer quad core Nahelem architecture with Windows 7 64-bit as the OS-X VM with at least 8GB of memory.  Hopefully someone will give some info on that soon.  I do think that VM's are coming of age though in the personal desktop market.

Dan
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:49:58 PM by danaltick » Logged

george

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 03:58:19 PM »

Mark,

That's actually a good question I had not thought of.  I would hope that most VM's support inter-process communication with their hosts.  If so, I think this would be a very good feature request for IDimager.  I would recommend asking about this at the IDimager forum.

Peter,

Unfortunately I don't have a Mac, and I don't really have the time to test a VM anyway, but hopefully we will continue to get more information.  I would really love to see VMware Fusion 3 running on a newer quad core Nahelem architecture with Windows 7 64-bit as the OS-X VM with at least 8GB of memory.  Hopefully someone will give some info on that soon.  I do think that VM's are coming of age though in the personal desktop market.

Dan

Hi Dan.  That's pretty much my hardware (on an iMac), but I'm running my old copy of XP.  I may have to break down at some point and actually buy Win 7.

--George
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 05:55:22 PM »

George,

Sounds good.  I think 64-bit is essential here in order to utilize more than 4GB of memory, and if you're going to go 64-bit I would only opt for Win7, not Vista.

Dan

syncrasy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »

Finally got my Mac and was able to put IDimager to work [. . . ]

--George

George,

What is your general software workflow on your Mac/VM/Windows setup? In other words, if you catalog your images in IDimager in VM/Windows, what software do you use to open and edit your images? Do you stay entirely in the Windows environment, or do you toggle over to the Mac side for any of your work?

Thanks,

--Mark

Nikon D300 | Nikon Capture NX 2 | Photoshop CS2 | Expression Media 2 | Mac Pro | Mac OS 10.6.8 | 10GB RAM
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: