The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 07:06:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  DAM for video files?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: DAM for video files?  (Read 16125 times)
snoopy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 03:38:25 PM »

Unfortunately LR3 does not support AVCHD video.
This means that none of the video clips produced by my HD camcorders can be imported.
Too bad Sad

Pieter

contact this guy: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/video-assets maybe he can help.

Is there somwhere a list of compatible Video format for LR3?
snoopy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 04:07:48 PM »

I found this text:

Another commonly requested feature is support for  DSLR Video Files. However, as with Tethered Capture the support for video files is rather limited. In short, you can import the video files, view the index frame as a thumbnail in Grid view or full-size in Loupe view (shown in figure 4 below), and export the files in their original format, but you cannot edit them or even review them in Lightroom, Instead,. to view a video file, you press the camera badge either on the thumbnail or loupe window to launch an external viewer such as QuickTime (Mac) or Windows Media Player (Windows).

Source: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr3_review/lr3-1.htm

But still no list of compatible file-formats...
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 09:54:03 AM »

It wouldn't suprise me if it is nearly impossible to make a supported format list.  Video formats are much more complicated.  You can't just say that you support mov files or avi files, because those are just wrappers, and the image files inside can be structured in so many ways.

I think Lightroom support is much more likely to be tied to the camera model than to a format.
Peter
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 02:21:44 AM »

I have just treated my video files like the image files, with keywords etc, on a PC with downloader pro. I give them the same file naming structure that I do photos; My name_YYMMDD_file number from camera_CO (for "camera original") this way I can detect originals from converted variations of a video file. The meta data does not stick to the original movie files, but it saves it to the side car files.

I have used a Sony still camera that shoots .mpg movie files, & now a Panasonic that I can choose either the MTS format or .mov, I use .mov as it is more compatible.

the .mpg movie files created .thm files that had the information. The .mov movie files from my Panasonic still camera saves a little jpg file alongside each movie file & I think the metadata gets stored in those.

when I have say some photos & movies from 10-02-2010, I will make a folder for this content, & subfolders, movies, for the video files, & photos for all the photographs.

ex; a photo shot on 10-2-2010; Sossity_101002_1250_CO.jpg

a video file shot on 10-2-2010; Sossity_101002_1251_CO.mov, the thumb or sidecar file would get the same name; Sossity_101002_1251_CO.thm

1250 & 1251 would be the individual file number the camera assigns, & helps to identify individual photos & video files.

the way I can preserve the video files is to make sure they have the _CO at the end of them like for my .jpegs, to prevent overwrites.

hope this helps, this is the best way I have tried to manage these files for now, I wish there was something for video as well.

Sossity
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: