The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 06:58:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  DAM for video files?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: DAM for video files?  (Read 16124 times)
ptr727

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »

Hi, I've recently started taking much more video footage (new baby), and I need a DAM app for my video files.

My Kodak Zi8, stores meta data, such as date and time, in the MOV container file.
My Canon HF11 creates M2TS files that contain the date time in the file name.
My other cameras, SD780, G10, 5DMk2, do not directly indicate the date time, but I can infer it from the file time stamp, this is quickly lost as the file gets copied around.

I just want basic tagging capabilities so that I can find and keep track of the video files.
No need for editing, conversion, publishing, etc., for that I use Vegas Pro and Vimeo.

I own Lightroom 2 and Expression Media 2.
I've stopped using EM2 for photos, but I know that EM2 does support video files.
I tried it, but it only imports a handful of video files, e.g. it does not import the HF11 M2TS files.

I don't need a single app for photo and video, although a single app for any type of media file would be ideal.

Other than EM2, can you recommend, and elaborate on your experience, with other video asset tools?

Regards
Pieter
BKKPhotographer

A frugal photographer living in Bangkok

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 12:17:44 AM »

If you use a PC take a look at the newly released ThumbsPlus version 8 from Cerious Software. I used previous versions for many years and was impressed with the quality of the software. It never crashed on me and easily handled hundreds of thousands of files in many formats. I moved to Lightroom because of issues with the previous release. Version 8 of TP seems to address all the problems I had. See http://www.cerious.com/.

Ian Fuller
Bangkok, Thailand

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 08:45:37 PM »

Pieter,
Are you on a Mac?  I think the MT2S is not natively supported by the Mac OS (there might be some quicktime plug-ins that can help for this).

If you want this to work on Mac, the best bet is probably to convert to QT  format (iMovie can do this, maybe QT pro) and archive these. It makes the file larger, but much more compatible, which is the trade-off you made when you bought an AVCHD camera.

(If you are on PC, you might have other options, including installing a different CODEC)
Peter
frankgindc

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:01:35 PM »

I am also looking for a program that will do DAM for video files (.avi) on a Mac.  (note: iView or EM would be an option but I'm having problems with getting them to honor my old product key for iView and I ain't willing to pay them again).

Any other options out there?

Thanks,
Frank
ptr727

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 01:43:33 PM »

Apologies for not replying sooner, guess I forgot to enable email notifications when replies are posted.

I am using a PC.

I do not want to convert the original video files to a different format, I just want to be able to manage them the same way I manage picture assets.

I am not aware of any standard for video file metadata, although several container formats do support metadata, but I don't see any reason why XMP sidecar files can't be used?

I had a quick look at ThumbsPlus, but it does not add much over explorer.
I use K-Lite codec pack and this allows explorer to generate thumbnails of video files.

I have not found a suitable app yet, but I am using IIP to copy, backup, and rename the original footage into date structured folders, it is a start.
IIP does not understand video files, but it does use the file last modified timestamp, and all my video cameras do correctly set the file modified timestamp.

Regards
Pieter
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:20:16 AM »

Pieter,
Have you checked out IDimager?
Peter
ptr727

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 07:44:19 AM »

Peter,
I tried IDimager a few years ago for photos, but not recently, eventually decided on Lightroom.
I'll try it again and see what it can do with video files.

Pieter
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 08:38:18 AM »

Pieter,
Are your video files made with your still camera, or are they other kinds, like DVD rips, or stuff shot with a dedicated video camera?
Peter
ptr727

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 08:56:08 AM »

Peter,

The video footage I am concerned about comes from a variety of cameras, including dedicated camcorders, and still cameras in camcorder mode. (right now that is a Canon HF11, Kodak Zi8, Canon 5D MkII, Canon SD790IS)

I do have DVD rips and processed/authored video, but that is not a problem, the input far exceeds the output.
It is really the hundreds of video clips we take that gets out of hand, especially when it comes time to process/author them and create family video DVD's or upload the processed footage to Vimeo.

I would like to treat the video clips the same way as I do my pictures; go out and shoot pics/video, come home, import/rename/backup, tag/metadata.
Later, when time permits, go through pics/video, rate, pick best, process pics for printing, process video for DVD/Vimeo.

Pieter
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:12:11 PM »

Pieter,
Okay, I see. Well, the first thing is to find an application that can see the files. It may mean that you need to install some codecs, and tell the application to make use of them.

I am doing something like this with my JVC HM100U camera - I shoot to card, and then download with ImageIngester Pro (tagging, renaming and backing up just like still images) and then send to Expression Media, whcih handles it fine. It can read and apply the sidecar data, including any IPTC.  This is also working for me for audio files coming out of my Zoom H4n.
Peter

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 02:14:21 PM by peterkrogh » Logged
ptr727

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »

I just read that LR 3 Beta 2 now supports video files:
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2010/03/lightroom_3_beta_2_now_availab.html

Video Format Support
Video files captured by newer DSLR cameras are becoming an important part of a photographer's creative effort and has been a hotly discussed topic on the Lightroom 3 beta forums.  This update allows photographers to confidently import all of the still and video content captured on their Compact Flash or SD card and Lightroom will help manage and organize videos alongside still images.  Tagging, rating, filtering, collection and smart collection features are available for organizing video content and video filter will help narrow down your collection to just your video files instantly.  In the grid and loupe views of Lightroom, the duration of a video file is presented on the preview of the video content and playing video files is just a click away.

I don't normally trust Beta software with my assets, but I may give it a try on a test system.

Regards
Pieter
snoopy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 02:35:06 PM »

I just read that LR 3 Beta 2 now supports video files:
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2010/03/lightroom_3_beta_2_now_availab.html

Video Format Support
Video files captured by newer DSLR cameras are becoming an important part of a photographer's creative effort and has been a hotly discussed topic on the Lightroom 3 beta forums.  This update allows photographers to confidently import all of the still and video content captured on their Compact Flash or SD card and Lightroom will help manage and organize videos alongside still images.  Tagging, rating, filtering, collection and smart collection features are available for organizing video content and video filter will help narrow down your collection to just your video files instantly.  In the grid and loupe views of Lightroom, the duration of a video file is presented on the preview of the video content and playing video files is just a click away.

I don't normally trust Beta software with my assets, but I may give it a try on a test system.

Regards
Pieter

Hi

I am also interested in managing video files of my P&S cameras with LR. Is this really working?
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 02:54:48 PM »

It depends what you mean by "really". LR3 imports movies and lets you manage them - eg add keywords, move between folders. But it won't add that metadata to the files upon export or Ctrl S / Cmd S

John

PS Moderator Note - please sign your posts
snoopy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 03:17:15 PM »

It depends what you mean by "really". LR3 imports movies and lets you manage them - eg add keywords, move between folders. But it won't add that metadata to the files upon export or Ctrl S / Cmd S

John

mmmhhh, I have no plans in making crazy things with the videos. Butan upgrade to LR3 could be interesting for sorting my video mess here. They are only casual family videos and I need a way to organize them and find them later easily with keyword searches. Also my wife would like to be able to play them within LR, if I show them to her.

I am not a native speaker. What do you mean with " ...upon export or Ctrl S / Cmd S". Where do I have to export them after importing them into LR3? I thought I could give the videos also metadata as I can do it with photos in LR?

Dirk
ptr727

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 03:25:20 PM »

Unfortunately LR3 does not support AVCHD video.
This means that none of the video clips produced by my HD camcorders can be imported.
Too bad Sad

Pieter
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: