The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 19, 2017, 06:58:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28031 Posts in 5146 Topics by 2907 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Software for large numbers of files ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Software for large numbers of files ?  (Read 8353 times)
tmark

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2009, 07:04:47 PM »

Some time ago I ran into EM's limit - the database would crash frequently.  I did some research and found that it has problems handling large databases - I can't remember if the problem was tied to the size of the database, or the number of assets, but it has been documented by others.

I have about 70,000 images or video files, taken from a number of cameras, at least one of which was not supported (as of a few months ago) by LR. 

I figure my collection will grow by about 20,000 files a year.  I need my software to handle both images and video.

Are there any other reasonable alternatives ? I had read that PM had a cataloging feature that was coming at some point, but at least 2-years later it still doesn't seem to be here.

Others have suggested splitting my catalog by, e.g. year, but I am really loathe to do so, because IMO doing so would diminish a good part of the utility of cataloging software.  So in the meantime, my collection has just been growing without any cataloging on my part - because I don't want to spend time investing in a solution that might not let me move forward.

Can anyone offer suggestions here ? My ideal software would run on PCs and Macs, but I would be willing to consider software which runs on just one platform.
tmark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 07:06:28 PM »

Sorry - I didn't sign my post and can't figure out how to edit the original.

terry
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 01:44:21 AM »

Hello Terry,
The limits of EM are known and we all hope that Microsoft wil solve them in v3 (when evv They are: 128.000 files in a catalog and the catalolg may nog get bigger then 2 Gb (this represents about 200 Gb of data).
What i do to prevent crossing these limits is using dfferent catalogs. Every year for instance.
B.t.w You can open and search different catalogs simultanious.
Regards,
Roelof
BKKPhotographer

A frugal photographer living in Bangkok

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 04:59:59 AM »

Terry,

I have the same requirements and concerns with Lightroom. Currently I have about 56,000 pictures in a LR 2 catalog. The catalog file is 1.15GB. I have seen many opinions on the practical capacity of Lightroom but no facts. One of the objectives of LR 3 is that it will improve the capacity of the catalog but I have seen nothing specific.

My objective is to have one catalog / database for every photograph I take for the rest of my life for the same reasons as you.

I would try a Lightroom 2 30-day trial or the free LR 3 Beta. However, I think we've been told not to infer much about LR3's performance from Beta 1.

Set it up to import your collection and test it on your hardware. BUT since you want to catalog video alongside photos (a very reasonable request) that may not work for you.

Adobe does say they are committed to supporting professional photographers with large collections and growing of assets. I think they may be your best bet. I am trusting that their scalability will increase faster than I take photographs.

Ian Fuller
Bangkok, Thailand

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 07:28:53 AM »

Terry,
What platform are you on?
Are the videos created by a DSLR or some other thing?
Peter
tmark

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 07:17:34 PM »

Everyone - thanks for the replies.  I was forced offline for a while and didn't get to check in.

Terry,
What platform are you on?
Are the videos created by a DSLR or some other thing?
Peter

Peter -
I prefer to use a Mac, but if I am forced to, I will use a PC.  I have both at home.

The videos are created by a variety of digital (non-SLR) cameras.  The collection includes a Panasonic LX-3 and GH-1, an Olympus E-P1, Sony W300, and a few other point-and-shoots.

Roelof - thanks for the pointer about opening and searching multiple catalogs.  I didn't know that I could do that, and can see definite advantages to doing so, but - if possible - I'd love to be able to avoid that.  BKKPhotographer described what I am looking for best - I'd love to have every photo and video I ever capture in a single database.  If that's impractical or impossible, so be it, but that's my ideal.
BKKPhotographer

A frugal photographer living in Bangkok

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 12:13:14 AM »

You may want to look at the newly released ThumbsPlus version 8 from Cerious Software. I wrote a bit about it on my blog at http://bkkphotographer.wordpress.com/2010/01/03/thumbsplus-8-available-at-last/. The official site is at http://www.cerious.com/.

TP has a number of advantages for your needs:
  • scalability - you can use an external SQL database like MySQL or SQL Server if you outgrow the default MS Access or SQLLite implementation
  • It supports many file formats including video

BUT
  • It only works on the PC
  • It does not support the non-destructive editing that is such a powerful feature of Lightroom

You may want to try TP 8. They have a trial program.

For myself I am staying with LR and praying that Adobe will improve its scalability faster than I can take photographs. My backup plan is to revert to TP. I should get a trial version myself and see how well it imports the metadata I created with LR.

Ian Fuller
Bangkok, Thailand

alexo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 01:52:56 PM »

Hello Terry,
The limits of EM are known and we all hope that Microsoft wil solve them in v3 (when evv They are: 128.000 files in a catalog and the catalolg may nog get bigger then 2 Gb (this represents about 200 Gb of data).

Would you mind mentioning the limits of EM to those not in the know?
Also, can you suggest applications with higher limits than evv and EM?

Thank you,
Alex.
Dick Holtman

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 10:15:16 AM »

Have you thought about IdImager? Rich featured, dedicated for DAM.
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 02:53:54 PM »

Hello Terry,

Would you mind mentioning the limits of EM to those not in the know?
Also, can you suggest applications with higher limits than evv and EM?

Thank you,
Alex.

Hello Alex,
I mentioned the limits (see your own quote): 128.000 files in one catalog and a catalog may nog get bigger then 2 Gb.
Hopefully, Phase One wil solve this one as first...

Roelof
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »

Though few catalogues get near that number. It's more likely that you'll top out at around 1.5gb and however many images that means.

John
Jonathan Lipkin

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 06:00:37 AM »

One of the problems with EM is that it doesn't exist anymore - as far as I can tell MS killed it. Nothing on the website about it anymore...
Jonathan Lipkin

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 06:02:30 AM »

Ignore last post - it's been taken over by Phase One:

http://www.phaseone.com/Phase%20One/Try-and-buy/Online-Store.aspx
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: