The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 09:43:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Keywords and Controlled Vocabulary
| | |-+  Uniquely Identifying People
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Uniquely Identifying People  (Read 3018 times)
Dale

View Profile Email
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:14:14 AM »

I currently use PSE6 (will be switching soon to other software for organizing). I believe that PSE writes only the keyword, and not the hierarchy, to the file metadata. However, psedbtool can write hierarchy/keywords from the PSE catalog. Whether any other software can read that, though, I don’t know.

I’m interested in that for this reason:

If I were to create a Smith family hierarchy and put a tag of Mary in it, then when Mary is written into the metadata, some other program may not know if it is Mary Smith or Mary Jones. Thus it seems like the tag ought to be “Mary Smith”, or “Smith, Mary”.

However, there may be two separate people named Mary Smith (possibly even in the same family). I could distinguish by adding (a) the birth year, e.g. “Mary Smith 1979”, (b) an artificial designator, e.g. “Mary Smith 01”, (c) a birthplace, e.g. “Mary Smith – New York”, or (d) a person number from a genealogy database for family members, e.g. “Mary Smith 9872”.

What, in your experience, does or does not work well?

stlsailor

Dale
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 04:33:28 PM »

Dale,
A lot of this is determined by who the keyword searchability is being prepared for.  Is this for a family database, where everyone will know which Mary it is?  Or is this for inclusion into a larger database?  If it's for a larger database, I'd first check what protocol they follow.

If you are preparing an internal database for inclusion into a larger external one, then the most important thing is to develop a tagging strategy that you use consistently.  You can always migrate (choose all Mary Smith(1979) images and add keywords: Child of Joseph and Mary Smith).

Does that help?
Peter
Dale

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 09:41:01 AM »

Peter,

Is this for a family database, where everyone will know which Mary it is?  Or is this for inclusion into a larger database?
Good question. Currently it is a multipurpose database -- business, genealogy, family -- and right now I am the only one using it, but I want something that will be flexible and not problematic in the future.

Here is what I'm considering now. There would be an advantage to having a the person number from the genealogy database accessible in the image files. However there will be many people not in the genealogy database, so I may do that separately with a tag something like GEN4352. That shouldn't be too much work since most people won't be in the database, and I understand if I use LR that it has synonyms that aid that process. Since duplicate names will be fairly infrequent in the image files as well, I will just select one of the options, say for example "Mary Smith 1979" appending  the birthdate when needed. You make a good point that it can always be migrated later.

Thanks for the help in thinking through it.

Dale

Dale
wvcs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:17:31 PM »

I'm also interested in this topic as well, but more from a genealogy standpoint. From my perspective, I've added keywords for the people, places, etc. However, what I really need is a way to document the people and their relationship within the photo, so I could use some feedback on this.

Should I document the people in the photo in the caption/description (e.g. "From Left to Right: Mary (Jones) Smith, Jim Smith, Robert Jones taken in Boise, Idaho ca. 1920")? Thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks Bill
Dale

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:34:40 AM »

Should I document the people in the photo in the caption/description (e.g. "From Left to Right: Mary (Jones) Smith, Jim Smith, Robert Jones taken in Boise, Idaho ca. 1920")?

Generally I'd say dates and places are not necessary in the description because you have metadata fields for the place and date. And, if you have a lot of photos taken at one time and place, it can get tedious. However because you're wanting to document it within the photo for genealogy purposes, and may share a single photo with someone, I think you're right on track to put more information in the description.

I always identify people in a L-R, F-B order so I don't have to put that in the description. However if you're concerned about someone looking at it later and not knowing that's your standard, I'd use (L-R) or (L-R/F-B) to be a little less obtrusive. Whatever you're comfortable with.

For genealogy photos, if there is a story that goes along with it, I'd put it in the description. Chances are, whoever you share the photo with in that case is interested in the story.

You could put your genealogy database numbers in the caption to identify the people, e.g. Jim Smith (1145), but personally I wouldn't because they won't mean anything to anyone else. I'd do that with a tag instead.

If you have information that you'd like to become part of the photo record, but don't necessarily want it to print in a caption or description, I've found the Instructions field a good field to hijack for that purpose.

Dale

Dale
wvcs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »

Thanks Dale,

The reason I'm looking at the description is because I can depend on the order of the keywords and non-photo savvy folks will not likely look at other fields contained in the meta data. I just thought the description would be the best place. Unfortunately, it will be on a photo by photo basis. I'm mainly concentrating on photos between 1920-1970 for now. It's a great idea to include the person ID from my ancestry file.

Bill
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: