The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 04:06:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Keywords and Controlled Vocabulary
| | |-+  Keywording question for Peter K and John Beardsworth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Keywording question for Peter K and John Beardsworth  (Read 2616 times)
jljonathan

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:16:09 PM »

I placed this question in an other forum but didn't get any responses, so I thought I'd try here.

Since people and event entries in the ITPC fields (Expression Media 2)  don't appear in LR, I have added these two keywords preceded by a * to my keyword list and added all the sub-entries (set to export) to these two main headings (set to not export). I have also added one other main heading *location, which contains sub-entries of all my metadata locations (all set to not export-since this info is already in a field). This I've done just for expediency, since these three would be up top, in finding images belonging to a location without having to open the filter panel. All other keywords are flat listed. Do you think this arrangement is safe and does it sound reasonable, or do you think it could lead to problems. Or, would you suggest populating the keyword list with all of these entries as flat (this seems that it would certainly increase the list and make it very hard to use, and would lead to what John Beardsworth terms keyword list pollution). Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 03:11:47 AM »

I didn't reply elsewhere Jonathan because I thought you'd heard enough of my opinions on this! If you think a mixed flat/hierarchy system works, give it a go. But I'd caution you about using "*" as it's typically used as a wild card in searches, matching any combination of characters - safer to use "_" instead. Also I don't think it matters one bit if the keywords list is long - notice the little filter box at the top of the panel, and you just make more use of smart collections if you have a long list (making them when you need them, not wasting time building a hierarchy which you may never use for searching).

John
jljonathan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 02:05:49 PM »

John
Thanks for getting back. I was trying out a hierarchy to see if it solved the problems of moving over to LR3 from EM and losing the people and event fields that were available using your panel, but I don't think I like that solution. Do you just add all people names and event titles into your flat keyword list?  I just made a new catalog and emptied all the keywords into one long flat list. It's not too bad, and your right, the filter at the top makes that work fine. Locations are taken care of with the filter panel, as I had entered all location info in EM and it came in fine. So, I may work with this for a while and see how it functions for me. What do you ordinarily do with the smart collection panel, can you give some examples that might help organize things here?
Thanks again
Jonathan
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: