Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
What's My Best Option: Life After IViewMedia Pro
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 05, 2020, 05:11:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  What's My Best Option: Life After IViewMedia Pro
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What's My Best Option: Life After IViewMedia Pro  (Read 6867 times)
Branch11

View Profile Email
« on: November 27, 2009, 10:15:48 PM »

This has probably been asked, but I could not find it.
I am using IView Media Pro v3.1.1 and have categorized around 28,000 photos. IView crashes quite often and I know it's no longer supported. Is there any software that will import all my catalogs, keywords etc. I have read Expression Media has problems and MS might not be selling it or supporting it. I really don't like MS and their software.
Thanks,

Branch
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 01:00:30 AM »

Branch,

If you're running under windows you might want to give this one a try http://www.idimager.com/

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 08:13:37 AM »

Branch(name?)
If you are PC, then idImager is probably best.
It's also possible that with a collection your size, you could get away with Lightroom (depending on what kind of files are in there).

As to the crashes, I'm guessing that you have a file (maybe several, or even a lot of files) in your collection that are crashing quicktime, or a corrupted catalog, or a corruption in the user preference.

You can test by making a new user, and see if that fixes it.
If not, you can create a new catalog, and see if the crash persists.
If that does not fix it, the methods to find the offending files take a little longer to describe.
Peter
Branch11

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:58:50 AM »

Thanks for your prompt replies. I looked at IdImager. Did the same people who created IView MediaPro create IdImager? It looks similar.
I went through the podcasts, which were helpful.
I am assuming there's an import option to import my old IView MediaPro catalog (.ivc file), which would keep my catalog sets and keywords, correct?
Also, I could not find the requires for IdImager. Will it run under Windows 7? I am still running XP, but will upgrade sometime.

Should I try and fix the problem in IView MediaPro before importing into IdImager?

Peter, went to your seminar at the Photoshop conference in Las Vegas back in 2006. I bought your book at the conference and then a copy of IView MediaPro.
Thanks for all your work.

Branch
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 05:33:17 PM »

Branch,

No, IDimager has been developed primarliy by a single individual, Hert, who lives in Denmark.

There is no import option for IVMP; however, you can port over your catalog sets via a script if you sync your files first.

Yes, it will run under Win7.

No need to fix the  Quicktime problem first.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Branch11

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 09:09:05 AM »

Thanks for your help.

Branch
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: