The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 03:49:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Syncback SE or ImageIngester ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Syncback SE or ImageIngester ?  (Read 1765 times)
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2009, 12:10:25 PM »

If you could only have one of these applications, which would you choose?

Joe
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 12:34:36 PM »

Joe,

I would get Image Ingester. I did not think I needed it until I got it. You can set up the downloads so simply, with so much information in the right spaces. It will save you much more time in organization, especially if you use two drives to hold the back up copies of the downloaded card. It keeps all of your information in an organized manner, run the DNG converter in the workflow, you can keep track of your cards, and set up folders and files so that bucketing (is that a verb?) becomes more simple. You can really simplify the process once you set it up correctly, and then download with confidence. If you try it out as a trial period I think you will also find how well it works. Careful, it can be habit forming.

I have both, and see many get by with Sync Back freeware. I am running the freeware version on a separate laptop and an older XP computer. I saw your post as to the issue with 64 bit Vista or Windows 7. I cannot say but the cost does not seem to be that significant for either/both. If you are able to save the time to find one set of images, or be assured that your files transferred properly, I think it is worth the expense. Your time in doing all of this is equally as valuable as the cost of the software. I guess you could try to do an unverified transfer (simple copy) and then run the DNG converter to verify the same, but I think that is pretty clumsy and time consuming. Does Windows 7 have any better set of tools (same question for Vista) than a simple copy?

The software upgrades to a new OS are always somewhat unexpected and frustrating. It seems that you finally get something working well, and new version of Lightroom or Photoshop comes out as well as an OS, and then you have to try all of your programs to see what does and does not play well with others. Plug ins are not cheap, and some don't work as the OS changes. I see all of this as a cost, albeit sometimes hidden, for all of this.

Still looking for that great savings from film purchase and development costs. Just kidding.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 06:57:57 AM »

Thaks Bill.  I will download Imageinvester and try it soon.  Other people seem to be using Syncback freeware on Windows 7 64bit.

Joe
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: