Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Camera Raw Adjustments Blocking IIP3 from adding Metadata?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2020, 12:39:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Camera Raw Adjustments Blocking IIP3 from adding Metadata?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Camera Raw Adjustments Blocking IIP3 from adding Metadata?  (Read 6546 times)
Bruce Van Inwegen

View Profile Email
« on: November 13, 2009, 08:59:13 AM »

I shoot tethered to a laptop.  My clients and I review the images during the shoot in Bridge and sometimes experiment with ACR crops, slight color corrections, star ratings etc.  This creates an ACR metadata entry in the XMP file that doesn't exist in files that are untouched.

It appears that if my CR2 files have any ACR changes made to the files (even something as small as adding a star for the best pick), IIP3 won't apply ANY of the metadata settings I have established for importing the images and converting to DNG.  It also appears that even if something as incidental as adding a star and then removing it, ACR creates a metadata entry that doesn't leave after the star is removed in ACR.

So it seems ACR changes made on CR2 files prior to injestion block IIP3 from doing one of its primary tasks.

Is this a bug, or is this behavior as designed?

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 03:24:42 PM »

Bruce,
I would not be surprised in Marc has designed ImageIngester to skip images with populated sidecar files. (I have not tested). It could be complicated to make sure that it does not overwrite any field that is in the sidecar.

Does the presence of any sidecar file stop the process, or does it need to have some data in it that would pose a conflict with IIP-applied data?
Peter

Bruce Van Inwegen

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »

It appears that the presence of any sidecar blocks IIP from entering any metadata.  It will still convert the file to DNG but that is all.  Marc says this is behavior as designed.
reyn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:05:52 AM »

While I can understand the rationale behind this it gives me a major problem. I use Geosetter to geotag my photos before using Imageingester, Geosetter writes sidecar files to hold the gps data.
I have just purchased and set up Imageingester and would like it to enter my static metadata, I just checked in Lightroom and only the Geosetter metadata is present. I am quite able to ensure I do not have conflicting metadata, is it possible to add an option to override this, please.

The other point I will make is that from what I have read when I get my existing photos geotagged and start to use my GPS track file with Imageingester then I cannot have this data in the pre backup files which will be my working Dng's . If I use it as I wish to make pre backups as working files (Dng's), the raws as my Archived files, and the post backup as Backup Dng's then only the Raws and Post backup Dng's will have the Gps data.

Would someone please confirm if this is correct or not. I cannot try it out yet.
 Thank you
Frank
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:40:55 PM »

Frank,
These days, I'm much more likely to geotag in post long after ingestion than upon ingestion. Because I'm generally on the road whenever I'm doing a tracklog merge, I like to get confirmation that can be provided with Geosetter or Houdah to a better degree than IIP.

I'd say to do the tracklog merge after IIP processing.
Peter
reyn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 04:17:14 AM »

Peter,
Since my last post I have sorted all my old Raws and Jpgs/Tifs and along the way I found Jeffrey Friedl's GPS Support plugin for Lightroom. I am now using this on my working dng's and I then use a sync program to refresh my backup dng's with this data and of course any other adjustments I make in Lightroom, this way I end up with two dng copies with the same metadata and one archive copy of the original raw but with the same filename as the dng's (without the new metadata) which uses the last four digits of the camera's raw filename. I'm pretty happy with this setup, I can trace right back to the original raw.
Frank
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: