The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:23:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28020 Posts in 5140 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  dpBestflow.org Discussions
| | |-+  dpBestflow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: dpBestflow  (Read 13299 times)
NJHeart2Heart

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 11:23:21 AM »

Dear Peter,
I just came in to check out what's happening and found the link to the dpworkflow.org site.  Amazing.  Overwhelming, but amazing. 

Being an amateur photographer I do understand why the entire DAM philosophy is underused / understood. It is a very complicated system, albeit absolutely critical in it's basic insights.  It will take me years to get a full grasp of all it's fine details, and lots and lots of financial investment to bring my own system up to it's most basic standards. 

Thank you so much for the great amount of time and effort that you have put into educating photographers about this critical area of knowledge.  I will do my best to direct people towards you and dpworkflow as a basic co-requisite to learning digital photography.

Student of good DAM practices,
Dawn Del Guercio
"NJHeart2Heart"
NJHeart2Heart

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 11:39:24 AM »

Sorry - referring to www.dpbestflow.org. Couldn't edit my post to correct  Undecided

JoeThePhotographer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »

It looks like a wonderful resource.  I will have to spend more time with it.

Joe
mrlynn

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 06:47:28 AM »

Hello Peter,

DbBestflow is a great site, thank you for putting all that info in one place!

I have a question regarding Image Conversion Method, which is mention here http://www.dpbestflow.org/file-format/raw-file-formats#late in the Raw File Format section. Is it possible to pick the ICM in the newer versions of the DNG Converter? I know I can with DNG Converter 3.7. Thus what is the default ICM method in both Lightroom and the current version of the DNG Converter? Thank you.

Shayne
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 02:07:52 PM »

Shayne,
The default method keeps it fully raw.  In current Adobe software, you need to choose a backward compatibility (which you must set) in order for it to linearize or demosaic the file.
So, don't worry about that.
Peter
mrlynn

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 02:29:04 PM »

thanks - one less thing to worry about  - perfect.
Louie Sherwin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 12:50:21 PM »

Hi Peter and Richard,

I finally got a chance to take a good look at the site and I want to congratulate you on an excellent job. Not only is it loaded with practical information it is very well organized and very easy to read neither of which is easy to accomplish with such a challenging topic.

I did notice one thing in the Batch workflow videos that you change from .nef image files to .dng files in the last segment. I see that it was necessary in order to illustrate the validation step using the DNG converter. However, I couldn't find the step where initial conversion was done. I'll guess that you probably had the first three videos complete when you discovered that you needed DNG files to demonstrate the verification step.

Obviously the flow will work using manufacturer RAW files with the exception of using the DNG converter to validate the archive. ImageVerifier would probably be a good alternative.  I presume that if one wanted to use a DNG flow that you would probably do the conversion during the ingestion phase, but  I am not a Lightroom user so I don't know exactly how that would work.

-louie

MacOS 10.5 Intel, Photoshop CS5, EM2.0.2 , IIP 3.2, LR3
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 10:00:32 AM »

Louie,
I'll take a look and see what's up.  The DNG conversion generally happens for me when I'm prepping the files to be archived.
Yes, you could do much of the workflow with proprietary raw, but you would lose the easy validation.  ImageVerifier or other checksum program couls be used, but the checksum would be invalidated as soon as a file was touched - a keyword added, or rating star changed, etc.  The great thing about the DNG validation hash is that is survives metadata or image adjustment changes.

Peter
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: