The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 09:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  RAW File Converters
| | |-+  PhaseOne Capture One 5 released
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PhaseOne Capture One 5 released  (Read 5484 times)
roberte

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2009, 05:46:04 PM »

Hi,

Two years after version 4 was released PhaseOne have updated Capture One to v5. Read more here:

http://www.phaseone.com/Software.aspx

Nothing new for DAM. DNG support is limited like v4 and metadata is hit and miss. Image quality and speed have been improved. This is a paid upgrade for v4 users.

-- Robert.

arossphoto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:36:39 AM »

Two years after version 4 was released PhaseOne have updated Capture One to v5...

Nothing new for DAM.

Well, that's incredibly disappointing. I can't believe that in two years of development they couldn't make any DAM improvements. I thought Phase One was working closely with Microsoft now and I was hoping there would be very close integration of C1v5 with Expression Media. So there are no improvements or integration at all with regards to image ranking, metadata, etc?

Thanks,

Andrew
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:42:09 AM »

Capture One has a great processing quality.

Problem is, that the software is buggy.

That phase of blur when you nudge a slider is unacceptable for modern software.

So I'm using an older version.

In my opinion, those guys at Phase One aren't keen enough to serve their customers. They have their own ideas, and are still banking on the reputation they had, when Capture One was far ahead of the competition.

- robert
mwall

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 09:54:49 AM »

C1 v5 for RAW conversion produces simply outstanding quality images and is very fast these days.  I routinely test RAW converters for image quality and C1 is currently on top for me with the caveate that I mostly photograph people.

Having said that, I detected a issue in that v5 would drop the 1st IPTC keyword on RAW reads.  It does not change your RAW/DNG file, but this keyword will not be passed on to converted images.  I opened a 'case' with Phase One to report this, and they quickly replied that this is fixed and the update should be coming in the next few weeks.

Mark

Of course, if you work in extremely well controlled studio settings with high quality equipment, just about any RAW converter will be fine. 

Mark Kenny

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:26:07 AM »

C1 does a great job processing RAW files, it handles moiré fantastically well. But version 5 could have been so much better for handling meta data, keywords and search. It doesn't matter how good the software is if you can't find the image.

My workflow: all files into LR for tagging, rating and converting to DNG with RAW embedded. We're an agency so we get many camera formats. We deliver RAW to the retouchers who use the software they chose to process the images. For retouch, you need more than the photographer decides.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: