The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 02:42:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Comments about the book
| | |-+  Place keywording / annotating in the Raw File workflow
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Place keywording / annotating in the Raw File workflow  (Read 3376 times)
Dick Holtman

View Profile Email
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:49:12 AM »

A very good book. My sincere compliments!
I read the whole book and learned a lot!

In first instance I thought that some suggestions seemed complex and I thought not having need of them. Later on I realized the need for the step. So my advice: sleep a night or two over it.

I have two questions.

Question 1: On page 288 the raw file workflow is described. I miss there the keywording / annotating = adding the metadata described in chapter three. I do not mean the bulk metadata but the keywords belong to individual of groups of images.

i guess it comes between step 2 and 3 of the workflow listed at the bottom of the page.

Question 2: Additive Backups
You say there: "Right now I'm unaware of any software that can manage backups in this way, so that you have to do it yourself."
You also mention SyncBack somewhere in the book.

I copied the text below from the SyncBack help file.
There are three different situations in which SyncBack must decide which file to copy or delete:
1. When there is a file (with the same name and in the same directory) that is both in the source and the destination but their contents are not the same. For example, you may have changed the file in the source.
2. When there is a file that is in the source, but not in the destination. For example, you may have deleted the file in the destination.
3. When there is a file that is in the destination, but not in the source.

My question is this: Do I not get an additive backup up when I set for situation
1: Do nothing
2: Copy
3: Do nothing

I my opinion you get a additive backup since it only copies new files in the source.

Would this be a solution or do I overlook something?
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 08:08:12 PM »

Dick,
Thanks for the note.
1. Yes, add your custom keywording as necessary. A lot of times I do this much later, as I work through shoots looking for more valuable images.

2. Yes, this would provide an additive backup, provided that you have the source set up correctly. You can use the tools in Syncback to help manage the process, but there is not fully automated solution in the same way that Retrospect can manage the entire backup process for text files, for instance, or that Time Machine can backup everything in a computer.

Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: