The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 06:01:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Acronis True Image Home 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Acronis True Image Home 2010  (Read 4020 times)
Mike DiVita

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:53 PM »

I know that a lot of people use True Image for their backups and disk cloning. I was planning to buy TI2009 when I saw that 2010 would be out soon. Now that it is out most of the reviews have been pretty bad - a lot of crashes and dead pc's. Has anyone bought and used 2010 yet? If so, what have your experiences been so far? I'm still on XP and I think that's were most of the problems lie. Is acronis good at updating the software with bug fixes? I'm  not sure if I want to buy 2010 or go with 2009 which seems to be more stable. Anyone ever try using Farstone DriveClone home or pro?

Mike
Arlen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »

There are experienced users of that program here, and hopefully some of them will weigh in. I installed it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and elected to go with the 2010 version because it specifically says that it supports Windows 7. I first installed it on an XP system. Installation went fine. I backed up my C drive, and then restored the backup to another drive. It worked perfectly. I now have the program installed under Windows 7, and it again seems to be working OK, though I haven't yet done a full backup and restore on this system.

You can download the version of your choice and do a free trial for 30 days. That's what I did.

Arlen
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 07:59:05 PM »

Mike,

Do you know if you can purchase 2009 and then do a free upgrade to 2010?  If so, you might want to go that route.  I don't usually upgrade my imaging software unless my hardware platform requires me to do so.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 08:20:11 PM »

Mike,
Even if you're not on Win7 yet, I'd wait until Acronis is Win7 compliant.  I've had some trouble - it's listed as non-conpliant and does not load by default.  You can change the name of the EXE file ad get it to run, but it does not seem to want to clone for me (What I'm trying to do tonight). (BTW, this is with The Echo Workstation product, not True Image 2010)

I'd love to hear what others are finding out about drive cloning with Win 7. I'm going to try to use the Windows options, but have not completed this yet. This is really time-consuming testing, since each run can take several hours.
Peter
Mike DiVita

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 11:16:56 PM »

I'm on XP and likely will be for awhile unless MS simplifies the upgrade path to win7 but that's another topic. I thought of buying 2009 since I really don't need the new features in 2010. The Farstone DriveClone Pro also looks like it would do the job but it doesn't seem to be widely used. I guess the best thing would be trial versions of both but I'm not sure I've got the time. I think I'll avoid TI2010 for now though.
Arlen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »

I've now used Acronis True Image 2010 (which is listed as Windows 7 compliant on their web site) on my Windows 7, 64-bit machine to restore a backup to a second drive, and it was successful. The new drive booted flawlessly and seems to be identical to the source drive. I've also been using it for a couple of weeks to make daily backups across my network.

The only serious problem I've had is that I've not yet been able to get the rescue recovery module (booted from the rescue CD) to see my network drives so I can restore from there in full recovery mode. I'm still working on that, but it can be worked around in any event, with some inconvenience. A minor issue (which others have also reported) is that when you are setting up a backup across a network, it asks you to provide login validation credentials, and after you enter them it keeps asking for them over and over again--even though it actually remembers the credentials and logs in to the networked drive just fine.

Still, lots of other people on the Acronis help forums are reporting problems with the 2010 product under Windows 7, and my guess is that there are incompatibilities between the program and some common hardware components and/or drivers. I guess I was lucky. But if you haven't made the jump, it's probably a good idea to wait until this stuff gets sorted out.

Arlen
Dale

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 01:21:46 PM »

My system uses Windows XP. I tried a trial of Acronis True Image 2009. It seemed to alter the master boot record of the disk so that the capability of restoring from the Dell Image was removed. Given that, and quite a few negative user comments, I decided not to use it.

I found Shadow Protect Desktop which had good reviews and consistently good user ratings. I began using it. It has a professional feel to it and seems to work well. (Important caveat: Every reviewer I read who had tried the restore said it worked flawlessly. However I have not personally had time yet to try the restore.)

Note, though, that I use ShadowProtect only to clone my Windows drive to make reinstallation painless, or as a supplemental data backup. I use a program that backs up native versions of the files to protect my data. I've read too many comments of users of all program who found their proprietary file formats unreadable when they went to restore.

Dale

Dale
David C. Buchan
Quantum Gardener

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 04:17:38 PM »

Acronis True Image Home 2011 is just out. Working ok on XP. Massive overhaul to the clumsy user interface is an improvement.
Craig Murphy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 06:49:58 AM »

Is the $29 Plus Pack ad on to Acronis 2011 something that should be purchased or is it really not necessary?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: