The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 05:16:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Keywords and Controlled Vocabulary
| | |-+  Keywording Software
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Keywording Software  (Read 3903 times)
mguoli

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2009, 12:02:05 PM »

Any advice about a good keywording software? I would like to hear opinions coming from the real world out there... does anybody use Cradoc Harvesterr, CV, or something else?
Just copy and past from a wordpad? Yuri Arcurs Keywording Tool? Just Bridge + your brain + a good Thesaurus on-line?

When I'm keywording I like to begin with my brain, just describing the image for what I see (What, where, why, etc). At this point I just would like a good Thesaurus + Synonims to complete what my brain is doing. Just when I finished this step, I can look rapidly at some keyword on the web that I might not considered (but I think it is a learning process, with an end at some point for the same images). For these reasons I like CV, but there is not a demo, anybody is using it?

I'm an Alamy contributor and I shot travel/landscapes/outdoors images.

Thank you for any advice,

Marco

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:44:11 AM »

Marco,
Sorry for the delayed response.  Does Alamy provide guidance for this?  Seems like that would be the place to start.
Peter

mguoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 06:58:53 PM »

Peter,

Alamy suggest IMAGE KEYWORDER (Just for PC, so I had to install VirtualBox in my Mac to run it). I tried a demo and think is really a pain... the vocabulary and thesaurus is very bad, the program too slow, nore can exactly count the number of character so when you paste it in Alamy you'll get a lot of truncates words and you have to adjust everything once more.

As you always said, Keywording is a matter of internal or external use. Keywording for Internal use is not an issue, you just had to be consistent. But now that I begin to assign keywords for the web market, well, I discover that the workflow about that is not so clear to me. And is sooo time consuming. Exept IMAGE KEYWORDER wich I already tried, it seems that are not Demos available out there, so I can not test the quality of terms (synonims and hierarchy) and other features. I could get in touch with Josh that is using FOTOKEYWORD HARVESTER by Cradoc, but I would hear other opinions... well it seems that I'm not lucky.

Marco

Mark Weidman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 05:31:24 AM »

Hi Marco

Thanks for the reply on my Camera Scan post and for the kind words about my work.  Re. keywording originally I used the service keywording.com in Portland, Oregon.  They do a very good job and prepare the data in a format that is ready to upload to Alamy.  But the costs add up significantly if you are doing any kind of quantity.  Lately I have been using a combination of Yuri Arcurs Keywording Tool and my own input, not nearly as thorough as keywording.com but certainly less expensive, at least in the short run.  Hindsight software just came out with a keywording tool, I think you can download a demo.  They have a good reputation with their photo business software.  http://hsltd.us/metamachine/index.html      Sorry I could not offer more help but as time goes forward I think there will be more & more solutions available.

Mark Weidman

Mark W.

Mac G5 DP, OSX v10.4.11
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: