Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
IIP ACR develop settings
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2020, 08:24:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  IIP ACR develop settings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IIP ACR develop settings  (Read 2268 times)
hneuhaus

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2009, 04:48:35 AM »

Hi.

I hope I put this in the appropriate subforum.

Peter,

in the second edition of your DAM book, in the chapter on the "Bridge/ACR workflow" under the headline of "Apply Develop Settings", you are suggesting that when IIP is configured to apply some ACR setting during ingestion it would be ok to skip this step inside of Bridge.

However, from a bit of experimenting it seems to me that the two approaches of applying a develop setting are fundamentally different. If I figured this out correctly, IIP just adds the ACR setting content to the xmp metadata (in case of raw) while Bridge / Camera Raw add the content of the chosen settings plus it takes any setting that is not in the file from the defaults. (And these defaults may still be camera, serial and ISO specific).

In your book you point out that it does make sense to apply develop settings in order to have the conversion in a defined state no matter e.g. on which computer the files are interpreted. When applying develop settings just with IIP this seems not guaranteed since e.g. when creating thumbnails or output files, then any missing development values that were not in the applied preset will be taken from the current defaults which might be totally different on two different computers.

Now one could of course argue to just create a preset with all settings included and apply that one in IIP. This however will e.g. remove the possibility to make use of applying ISO specific denoise settings. When I create a preset e.g. with just the clarity setting increased to 50 and apply this preset in Bridge to a bunch of raw files with different ISO values then Bridge/ACR would apply the clarity 50 to all files but take the ISO specific default values for all other settings. It seems to me that this is not possible with IIP.

I hope my examples were not to confusing.

I would be very thankful if somebody could confirm my findings or maybe explain to me what I understood wrong.

BR,
Holger
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: