The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:12:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Chronosync Settings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Chronosync Settings  (Read 3129 times)
barbaramiller

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »

Currently run a basic set up, which I will be upgrading; but first want to ascertain if discrepencies between original and backups are critical or not.

Had been doing M+I Back-ups, volumes got full, stopped archiving (realized not appropriate for PIEware)  Now I want to run with "Verify copied Data" checked.

Setup as in Dam Book II on P. 224, left to right, sync deletions, delete immediately

Options now same as Peter's set up on Figure 6-13, p.225, except that I previously had the Sync Triggers window with the following checked:
Data (files only):   checked Modification date (w/allowed time diff: 1 second)
Attributes (files and folders): checked the following:  Timestamps, Finder flags, HFS type/creator, Locked status
Always trigger is unchecked

Someone who knows the program better than I,  set it up this way; but he's not a photographer and I'm wondering if these settings in the Sync Triggers window will cause problems with system with PIEware
I'm guessing maybe I should not use the Sync Triggers window as I don't see it used in an DAM book examples (just uncheck all those boxes in the ST window).  Will someone please confirm.

Is Analyze window also helpful for data validation?

Might be able to figure this out better if I had a manual.  Econ Tech sent me one as a PDF, but pages display no text in Preview or Adobe Reader 9. And they haven't responded to my request for a readable manual.

Should I upgrade to Chronosync 4.0.4 before resolving the above?  Also will 4 be compatible with my other hardware and software?

Currently using Chronosync 3.3.6
Tiger 10.4.11, CS3, ACR 4.6.0.30, Lightroom 2.3
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB memory, 160 GB SATA, 7200 rpm, with
2 G-Drive 500GB quads and a Seagate 500 GB for off-site backup
(the main reason I haven't upgraded to Leopard is that I have some PC programs in Parallels and XP and would need a PC guy to help me reconfigure all these which I use for GoldMine contacts, Blackberry sync, etc.)

The above are my immediate concerns.

Thanks,
Barbara

P.S. since I am a new member, here is some background and foreground:

Am on the path to make my DAM system more sophisticated and customized to my needs, while increasing Ext HD capacity - haven't figured it out yet.  Still have not finished Peter's brilliant volume.
I'm a Location Scout that constantly needs to refer back to old photos which have mostly been JPEG.  All I need for output for work is JPEG; but I'm also a good photographer and wish many of my work images were shot RAW, so I'm in the process of changing that.
Think it will be some kind of bucket system for RAW or rather DNG worth saving and working file system for JPEG work files I often need to refer to or re-upload to website for clients with online and off-site backups.  JPEGS now will probably mostly be derivative working files.

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 08:38:53 AM »

BArbara,
First let's make sure we're on the same page regarding the purpose of the sync.

I suggest works-in-progress get updated - a real sync where everything that happens to the primary gets done to the backup on a regular schedule. Ideally, you'd also have an offline backup that gets updated manually in the same way.

For archive files, I suggest that at least one of the backups does not get updated, or gets updated only rarely (like when you migrate formats of programs). This is the additive backup - files are added to it, but then are not updated.  This protects against a corruption being inadvertently sperad from the primary to the backup. (Some people may choose to use additive backup for only one copy of the backup, and to keep one backup up-to-date.  This offers more protection of work you do to files, but less disaster-recovery protection.)

For the first group, working files, I suggest Chronosync, the trigger settings you have are fine, but the more important issue is how it's set on the front page. I synchronize deletions. And I don't like to move to Archive because this fills the drive rapidly. which can lead to all kinds of problems. Make sure you have "Verified Copied Data" turned on in the Options panel.

For Archive transfers, I DO NOT have "Synchronize Deletions" checked, because I'm adding to the backup. Likewise, for backups of the archive, I'm only adding to the backup, rather than keeping it synced. That's where I use the "Transfer Me" and "Incoming" folders. Basically, all I'm using Chronosync for here is to transfer the files, not to keep them updated.

(The above description assumes that you have a dedicated drive or drives for storage, and that you are using a Working folder hold images while they are being prepped for archive. If you have all your stuff (Working folder and Archive) on one drive, it would be different.  Likewise, if you were a Lightroom user who can ingest directly into the archive, the process would be different).
Peter
barbaramiller

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 03:52:09 PM »

Peter:

Thanks for your reply which provides me with a lot of useful information.  I appreciate your differentiation between working files and archive transfers (and corresponding Chronosync settings).  I am trying to figure out how to best apply these principles to my situation.
Until I figure it out, and finish reading your book (upgrading hard & software incrementally when affordable): I want to insure that I am maintaining some degree of integrity in my system.

A few more questions on Chronosync:

I can't find "Transfer Me" and "Incoming" folders that you refer to - is this only in Chronosync 4.0.4?

Do you think v4.0.4 will be compatible with my current hardware/software?  Please see above post. (Tiger, CS3, Lr2, MacBookPro Intel, Parallels 3) - backup strategies priority now over upgrading hard/software**

When adding to the back-up: do you use Chronosync because of the data validation feature (instead of just dragging & dropping)?

Do you think the Analyze window would prove helpful in the case of minor discrepencies?
--------------------------------------

Here is my current situation that I want to improve.  Up 'til now, all my stuff - working folder and archive (including scans from film) have been on one drive with 2 hard drive "back-ups" and inconsistent backup on optical media. I am not yet a Lightroom power user; but
it is a goal unless I find that working in ACR in Bridge is more compatible with my work flow.

Professional requirements (as Location Scout): 
Speed, deadlines, use of JPEG file format in folder hierarchy for uploading location files to website
Maintenance of working reference library of constantly changing locations in low-res files, currently maintained in folders (either filed or found by search engine)
Useful to have location reference from different shoots + not just most recent
I believe keywording may replace folders (more flexible & useful) however my industry relies heavily on reference to location folders

Personal endeavor (for both personal shoots and quality images from jobs):
To maintain an archive of DNG files (this may only include 1-5% of what I shoot for work) - possibly just keyworded and kept in additive bucket system by date, and in Lr catalogue - TBD.

And now, back to the DAM book.  There's too much DAM stuff I don't know yet.

Thanks,
Barbara

**With the exception of hard drives that maybe ready to retire due to age or capacity (2 G-DriveQs that are 3 years old and have been in constant use, Seagate backup - only used intermittently). 

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 03:44:09 AM »

Barbara,

>I can't find "Transfer Me" and "Incoming" folders that you refer to - is this only in Chronosync 4.0.4?

There are folders you make on your hard drive, not part of Chronosync.

>Do you think v4.0.4 will be compatible with my current hardware/software?  Please see above post. (Tiger, CS3, Lr2, MacBookPro Intel, Parallels 3) - backup strategies priority now over upgrading hard/software**

Usually the current version of software is better, even if you have older software and hardware. The only general exception is if the software uses system resources that did not exist in earlier versions of the system. Check the programs compatibility notes.

>When adding to the back-up: do you use Chronosync because of the data validation feature (instead of just dragging & dropping)?

Yes

>Do you think the Analyze window would prove helpful in the case of minor discrepencies?

Any errors should be noted and tracked down. In my experience any repeated errors indicate that there is a problem with one of the drives.

___

You need to be working with GPS...
peter
barbaramiller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 04:59:01 PM »

I like "Transfer me".  And, thanks for the answers, Peter.

GPS is pretty cool, though sometimes we are less indispensible if we accompany the director on a scout showing our camera position.
Accessibility is an issue for filming, so I usually note tenths of miles on dirt roads (which can be augmented by section#, township and range for some permits).  And some permiting agencies want that and not GPS coordinates. I probably should use GPS when I'm finding locations in a 4WD on someone's ranch.  Though ranchers and Native Americans usually have such strong visual ties to their landscapes that they can point you to exactly where you were standing. 

What I think would be fantastic is an affordable SLR that could record compass direction of photo in the metadata.  I'm trying to encourage my web-host (who hosts for lots of scouts) to allow site to extract focal length, date and time from metadata & if this could include compass point in the future that would be great.  Not so great for the dishonest among us (date and time, that is).  Also I can relate to GPS coordinates being an unchanging feature of the landscape.

I have lots of scouting friends who have GPS devices and never refer to maps anymore and thus have no visualization of the location and would be lost without Gertie.

Barbara

juliekubal

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 10:48:57 AM »

Peter,

I have been wondering about Chronosync settings as well when doing additive back-ups, so just want to clarify:

If I uncheck "Synchronize Deletions," then only additions to the archive and not deletions will get copied to the backup? How does this protect files that have been changed (whether on purpose or inadvertently) from getting copied to the backup, thereby syncing rather than adding to the backup drive?

Thanks,
Julie
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 08:25:38 PM »

Julie,
Not exactly sure about where you are unclear. The exact situation of the backup dictates which is the right setting.

Can you outline that more?
Peter

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: