Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Please suggest an application
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 11:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  Please suggest an application
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Please suggest an application  (Read 7959 times)
alexo

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »

Hello,

First post here, please don't bite.

There is a large and growing pile of images that I need to organize.
Most of of the DAM programs that I looked into seem like overkill, as I don't really need the image manipulation/conversion functionality, just an organizer/viewer.

My requirements are:
* Runs under Windows.
* Fast and robust. Can work with thousands of folders and hundreds of thousands images, (even on single-core P4-class hardware)
* Supports nested tags/categories/keywords.  (E.g., define "animals", "cats" and "dogs".  Searching for "animals" will find images marked as "cats" or "dogs".)
* Supports browsing and searching by tags and by folders.
* Supports complex queries on tags, folders and/or other metadata (E.g., "sunshine" and "lollipops" but not "rainbows", resides under the "Team #3" folder, resolution at least 6MP).
* Allows tagging individual images, folders or groups (like search results).
* Tags are saved in the image files (IPTC/EXIF/etc.) in a portable way, as well as in a DB/catalog (need one for speed).
* Allows for adding/moving/removing images into the tree after it was already indexed (either from inside the app or externally).
(The above 2 requirements will allow finding a set of images, processing them externally, saving back under different names while retaining the metadata).
* Allows batch setting of other metadata (comments, copyright, etc.)
* Ability to find duplicate/similar images can be a nice bonus.

I tried the trial version of LR2, it took something like 4 days to index the collection (some 150,000 at the time) and in general felt sluggish.
I also tried some freeware image organizers but, although some were significantly faster, none satisfied my requirements.
I read good things about IMatch and IdImager but haven't tried them yet.

Please advise.

Thank you,
Alex.
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 08:52:26 PM »

IDimager http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=4202.0

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
alexo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 07:15:05 AM »

Hello Dan,
Thank you for your recommendation (I had a feeling you'd say that...)

However, I am currently going through a serious software indecision phase and I would really appreciate a less terse explanation.
So far, I've gotten recommendations for IdImager, IMatch and ExifPro.
Can you, or any other member of this forum, give a quick comparison of these applications pertaining to the image organizing aspect?

Thanks again,
Alex.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:39:46 PM »

Alex,
idImager.
Peter

Okay, sorry for that. I think the first thing to check out is capacity. With hundreds of thousands of images, the choices will be narrower (if you want the fewest number of catalogs possible).

After that, it's probably more important that you "get" the program. Can you understand it without a manual?

alexo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 05:48:06 PM »

Hello Peter, thank you for your reply.

idImager.

It sure seems to be the favourite around here.
Can you please tell me why is at better as an organizer than IMatch or ExifPro?
Is it faster?  Does it have more options?  Is it optimized for large collections?

Okay, sorry for that. I think the first thing to check out is capacity. With hundreds of thousands of images, the choices will be narrower (if you want the fewest number of catalogs possible).

I am not sure that I need catalogs, the main use will be firing one-off searches for images that satisfy specific criteria.

After that, it's probably more important that you "get" the program. Can you understand it without a manual?

That depends on the application.
Paint.NET, yes.  Photoshop CS4, probably not.  IdImager, maybe Smiley

Best regards,
Alex.
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »

Alex,

I'm not familiar with either IMatch or ExifPro, but I would be surprised if either of them is as sophisticated or comprehensive as IDimager; especially the new v5 beta.  Yes, IDimager can handle large catalogs 30,000+ images.  If you are just doing one-off searches on a small number of images, you could use Bridge for that, but if you need speed and growth, then you need a catalog manager.  Catalog managers can be very extensive with a decent learning curve.  I did a fairly thorough comparison of IDimager to Expression Media (see link above), but I don't know of any comparisons to IMatch or ExifPro.  I would recommend downloading the 30 day trial and giving it a whirl, or maybe even the v5 beta.  They have a good support forum here http://forum.idimager.com/.  And here is a link to the online manual http://manual.idimager.com/.  Take a look at the introduction and basic features to get an idea about what you can expect from a good catalog manager.  Good luck.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
alexo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 05:52:09 AM »

Thank you, I'll give it a try.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: