The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 05:15:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  DNG
| | |-+  How to access DNG Preview jpg?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: How to access DNG Preview jpg?  (Read 23983 times)
jeremyrh

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2006, 03:36:55 AM »

I understand that a DNG file includes a JPG which reflects the colour adjustments made to the underlying RAW file. I can see that this would be useful to produce some quick prints etc (and that can be done via iVMP?). Suppose I want to do more than print - for example if I want to use that JPG as an item in a web gallery without the hassle of opening the RAW file, or mail the JPG to my mother etc etc etc - how do I access the JPG image in teh DNG file?

As an iVMP-specific question: suppose I wanted to make an html gallery using the JPG previews, not the RAW files - how would I do that?

I usually shoot NEF+JPG because it's handy to have a small version of the image to play with. If DNG will hold both versions I may be won over to the DNG camp  Cheesy

Thanks for any pointers!!

Jeremy.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 06:38:26 AM »

Currently, you access that preview only with iView MediaPro and idImager.  If you use the convert image function, iView will access the preview rather than the RAW data.

You need to make sure you have your preferences set correctly.  Use Manufacturer rendering and click "use embedded preview".

You will find that this greatly unifies the workflow.

Interesting that you might have actually learned something from a book when you are telling the world:

>What is there in the book that you hadn't already figured out for yourself?
>So I suspect that not everyone agrees with me, but I found this book an utter waste of money. Anyone want to buy my copy:-) ??

Perhaps you are not as smart, or not as good a reader as you think you are. ;-)
Peter

jeremyrh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 07:06:24 AM »

Currently, you access that preview only with iView MediaPro and idImager.  If you use the convert image function, iView will access the preview rather than the RAW data.

You need to make sure you have your preferences set correctly.  Use Manufacturer rendering and click "use embedded preview".

You will find that this greatly unifies the workflow.

Interesting that you might have actually learned something from a book when you are telling the world:

>What is there in the book that you hadn't already figured out for yourself?
>So I suspect that not everyone agrees with me, but I found this book an utter waste of money. Anyone want to buy my copy:-) ??

Perhaps you are not as smart, or not as good a reader as you think you are. ;-)
Peter

Maybe you're right, Peter - perhaps in the hundreds of pages there was a tidbit that I didn't already figure out.

I haven't mentioned your book here, because I prefer to focus on productive discussion, but for what it's worth, my opinion stands. I bought it on the basis of the comments I read in various forums, but if I'd seen it in a bookshop and seen how Adobe-centric it is, or what the discussion of other issues was like, I wouldn't have done so. Others mileage may vary.

Thanks, anyway, for the clarification.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 07:27:09 AM »

If you are going to use DNG, then you will be moving to an Adobe workflow, at least at the moment.  I hope that soon we will see other applications writing as well as reading DNGs. (Thoss that write at the momment do not include a full embedded preview.)
Peter
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 10:20:45 AM »

I feel compelled to re-offer up my own review of the book again http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A4FGHJCUG6PQ5/ref=cm_cr_auth/103-4654559-2351864?%5Fencoding=UTF8.

I'll let it speak for itself.

I will admit, there was quite a bit of information in the book that I did already know as a computer engineer; however, there was also a lot I didn't; and the book does not assume you are a computer engineer.  And more than that, the book put all the pieces together and documented it as a complete work....and that is something you just can't put a price tag on.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
jeremyrh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 10:39:48 AM »

If you are going to use DNG, then you will be moving to an Adobe workflow, at least at the moment.  I hope that soon we will see other applications writing as well as reading DNGs. (Thoss that write at the momment do not include a full embedded preview.)
Peter

Indeed, but if only iView will deal with the DNG large preview, then the incentive to change is not huge. I had wondered if perhaps there is a simple way to export the JPG preview untouched, without further loss, but IIUC, then you can't do that. As it is, you can use the NEF preview in iVMP, and as long as you don't want an image bigger than 1600px, you save myself the bother of converting a file.

If at some point there should appear a big range of utilities that use the big preview in a valuable way then you can re-think.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 10:54:42 AM »

iView and idImager are just the first to use the preview.  Expect this to be widespread functionality before the end of 2006. (Adobe even might get around to using it.)  It greatly streamlines the workflow, and lets multiple software render the image exactly as adjusted. It is not surprising that this is not widely supported yet, since it is such new functionality. My guess is that, prior to the publication of my book, only a handful of people  understood how this solves so many problems for photographers. And until December 11th, no one could even see this preview accurately.  As people start to understand how it works, it is being rapidly adopted by professionals.

Mismatch rendering is an inherent problem with RAW files, as is slow rendering from RAW data.  Those of us who have to make a living off digital photography need to speed up the workflow and get predictable results across platforms and applications.
Peter
jeremyrh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 11:31:29 AM »

Those of us who have to make a living off digital photography need to speed up the workflow and get predictable results across platforms and applications.
Peter

And those of us who don't ... errr ... don't. Cool
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 11:42:47 AM »

Portfolio 8 also makes use of large embedded previews. Now they're around, it's a no brainer to exploit them. But it's a curious argument indeed that serious photographers don't need to speed up the workflow and get predictable results across platforms and applications.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 12:34:27 PM »

John,
So Portfolio released an upgrade that will now access the full res of the preview?  As I recall, when 8 was first released, they claimed they would but did not, in fact, do it.
This would be good news.
Peter
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 01:06:43 PM »

Peter

They haven't released an update since 8, in spite of there being some bugs in the program - fewer than iView but by comparison they made fewer steps forward and were more focussed on fixing old bugs. Anyway, I may have written somewhere that it didn't work as claimed. I then found that it would do so if a full size preview was in the file - my early tests had included DNG's without full size previews and I was more concerned about their resolving other issues such as rotation.

One nice feature is that once Portfolio extracts a preview file (equivalent to the new iView preview) then there are options to generate web pages or other output from those files rather than the potentially-offline originals.

John

jeremyrh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 02:27:10 PM »

But it's a curious argument indeed that serious photographers don't need to speed up the workflow and get predictable results across platforms and applications.
Well, John, I was really just teasing, but the serious issue is that an "amateur" will not drop dead if the photos he promised for Friday actually get printed on Saturday, and he may prefer to economise on mouse clicks, on conversion processes, or indeed on software. That amateur has legitimate DAM needs and priorities that may not be served by the Adobe workflow.
Rick McCleary

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 02:33:33 PM »

One nice feature is that once Portfolio extracts a preview file (equivalent to the new iView preview) then there are options to generate web pages or other output from those files rather than the potentially-offline originals.

That is indeed a nice feature.  How is that accomplished?  Is the extraction of the preview file an automatic part of importing into Portfolio (or at least a preference), or is it on an a la carte basis?  I would imagine that your Portfolio file could get pretty large.
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 04:11:01 PM »

It's a preference and works upon import. Portfolio has long had preview files and stores them as jpeg files separate to the catalogue. As a result, the Portfolio data file remains much smaller than an iView file with previews.
Joe Reifer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 01:20:56 PM »

Being able to access a DNG preview jpg would allow huge time savings for part of my current workflow that is a big pain - Copyright registration.

My current workflow is to use Image Processor in Photoshop to convert my RAW images to 600 pixel jpegs for bulk copyright registration. For event shooting & other high volume work, this process is really time consuming.

If there was a way to quickly & easily extract the DNG jpeg preview & use that for Copyright registration I would be thrilled. Any other strategies for this onerous task are most welcome, too!  Smiley

Cheers,

Joe

Canon digital, Mac OS 10.45, iView 3.02
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: