Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Correcting GPS Time Stamp
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 20, 2021, 10:38:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  GPS/ Geotagging
| | |-+  Correcting GPS Time Stamp
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Correcting GPS Time Stamp  (Read 16562 times)
DMBrown

View Profile Email
« on: September 07, 2009, 03:22:49 PM »

Using Image Ingester Pro (3.3 for Windows) I downloaded two cards of photo's and tried to add the GPS info at time off ingestion from a .GPX file from my QStaz Travel Recorder. The first card of photos shot with my D300, ingested OK with the GPS info written into each NEF file. However upon ingesting the second card, shot with my D200, when II tried to write the GPS info it came up with the following error message"ERROR: Failed to execute external command" and no GPS info was written into these files. Geosetter to the rescue, I was able to write the GPS info to all the files. The problem is that although I was sure I set the time correction correctly (Pictures were shot on the Oregon Coast and I set the time to UTC-8:00,DST+1:00) the time stamp in the EXIF for GPS info is out by plus 7 hours-picture shot at 1pm GPS time is 8pm. How can I correct this easily?

Thanks for your help
Doug Smiley
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »

Doug,
I'm not sure what you're asking.

Was the camera's time stamp incorrect?
Or is it something else?
Peter
DMBrown

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »

Peter;
No the time was set correctly in both camera's and the file's that have the GPS info written to them from Image Ingester have the correct GPS Time Stamp in the EXIF. It's the files that I used Geosetter to write the GPS info from the .GPX track log files to the Metadata. the GPS time stamp is 8 hours out (Eg if the Photo was shot at 11:AM the GPS time stamp is 7:PM. I have only used Geosetter once and do not recall the details exactly, but I think that when I was Saving the the changes to the files a text box came up saying something like you must enter a time to write the info to the files. So as the photo's were taken on the Orgeon coast I set the time to UTC-8:00, DST+1:00 America/Los Angeles thinking that this would write the correct Pacifc daylight Saving time to my files. So this long winded explanation (Sorry) is to set the stage for my 2 questions
1.) how should I have set the time in Geosetter so that the correct time stamp was written to the EXIF (in the sample abouve 11:AM not 7:pm)
2.) how can I correct this info in the files that contain the incorrect GPS Time Stamp.

Thanks for your help Peter, always good to hear your advise.

Doug
P.S. Your new DAM book rocks!!
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:24:45 AM »

Doug,
GPS time is UTC.  Is that what your'e seeing (The hours may be off due to Daylight savings time).

In any case, if the time is right in the EXIF field, I would not worry about the GPS time, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

I have no experience with Geosetter.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: