Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
USB Memory sticks
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2020, 10:22:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  USB Memory sticks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: USB Memory sticks  (Read 4544 times)
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2009, 01:19:30 AM »

How reliable are they? I can keep my volatile data on one and carry it between work and home daily. LR catalogue (not previews) etc. Is it better or worse than a laptop HDD that I used for the same purpose?
Chris Bishop
george

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 04:05:33 AM »

Hi Chris.  I've used usb sticks to carry image and non-image files back & forth to work on a daily basis for years.  They're slower than laptop HDDs but I've not had a problem otherwise.
--George
Chris Bishop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 04:17:34 AM »

I use a laptop HDD as my weekly swappable. I am using my USB stick as a daily backup ( with the laptop HDD), as a different media - part of the 1.2.3 . idea.
Chris Bishop
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »

Chris,
I think that flash memory is on par with hard drive memory for basic reliability (which means - trust, but verify).
IF these are not validated transfers, and the copy will frequently be replacing original files, there is some exposure there.
Ideally, you would use validated transfers, if practical.
Peter
Ken

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:25:39 PM »

Chris,

In addition, or as an alternate, to a USB memory stick, have you considered a service like Dropbox or PogoPlug?  Drop box will also keep files in sync, with version control, and PogoPlug lets you create your own "personal cloud" so you can control the data storage.

--Ken
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: