Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Future of Expression Media
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:50:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Future of Expression Media
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Future of Expression Media  (Read 47708 times)
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 02:33:59 AM »

Let's keep our fingers crossed for Camera Bits (makers of Photo Mechanic) to release their long-awaited DAM app. In the meantime, I've just slowly and not-very-deliberately moved towards using Lightroom for nearly everything. I'm really pretty pleased with it despite its sloth in exporting and the non-exportability of Collections. I've been working setting up a DAM system for a client and reluctantly had them buy a couple copies of EM since, as we all here know its the best that is currently available, but we're holding off on more licenses knowing that a) EM may be doomed and b) competition is probably on the horizon.

-Doug

That's what I'm hoping for, too.

Expression Media doesn't even color  manage. I mean, I photograph people, and Tiffs are all overly red.

I think Microsoft is just a company that sucks, and this was my last purchase of anything Microsoft.

I wrote Anita that I actually should get a refund, and she agreed to that, but of course it never happened.

I have heard the best about Camera Bit's customer service.

I think Expression Media will just go away and die. I actually never used my copy. It's awkward to use and is unable to display images properly, so why bother. Just a waste of money.

Robert
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 02:38:43 AM »

Thanks for posting that, Warren. Hm, "continue to provide support for Expression Media" doesn't sound like a kiss of life, does it?

None of us knows anything more though!

John

Didn't General Motors say a similar thing about Pontiac cars?
dave robertson

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »

<Expression Media doesn't even color  manage. I mean, I photograph people, and Tiffs are all overly red.>

Are you sure about the lack of CM?  I have otherwise identical images in sRGB and Adobe 1998, they look good and the digital color meter utility gives me the same numbers on-screen for both (EM1 on a mac.) Maybe I misunderstand something and they're both identically wrong Wink   Anyway I can see how a newcomer to EM now would probably be underwhelmed, it's stuck in a timewarp.  The amazing thing is it's held its own for so long without active development, and there's still no obvious heir.

Dave
roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »

Hi Dave,

Expression Media does have color management. In Preferences go to Media Rendering > Images and check Color match".

What Mr Chaos is writing about is a bug in EM.

-- Robert.

dave robertson

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »

You're right, Roberte, that web and print versions of the same images are looking the same and correct within EM was suggesting to me that it's color managed.  I've never given it any thought and always assumed that was the case. Sorry that I was confusing!
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 11:53:04 AM »

<Expression Media doesn't even color  manage. I mean, I photograph people, and Tiffs are all overly red.>

Are you sure about the lack of CM?  I have otherwise identical images in sRGB and Adobe 1998, they look good and the digital color meter utility gives me the same numbers on-screen for both (EM1 on a mac.) Maybe I misunderstand something and they're both identically wrong Wink   Anyway I can see how a newcomer to EM now would probably be underwhelmed, it's stuck in a timewarp.  The amazing thing is it's held its own for so long without active development, and there's still no obvious heir.

Dave

Yes, I'm sure. It has been confirmed by Microsoft.  Maybe the effects on TIFFs tagged Adobe RGB are less obvious, but it certainly creates havoc on ProPhoto and WideGamut RGB files.
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 11:55:29 AM »

Hi Dave,

Expression Media does have color management. In Preferences go to Media Rendering > Images and check Color match".

What Mr Chaos is writing about is a bug in EM.

-- Robert.

Well, if it is color managed, but the colors are not correct, the color management is not working, which is the same as being not color managed (or, let's say: the colors are wrong in a different way).

-Robert
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2009, 08:15:47 AM »

Robert (Chaos),
Are you working on a wide-gamut monitor?
Peter
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2009, 05:46:22 PM »

I don't think I would worry too much about color management in the catalog manager.  The catalog manager is really for proofs not color managed prints.  Use photoshop for that; at least until catalog managers mature a little more.  If you want good looking proofs of your master files, create sRGB Jpegs from them in photoshop and catalog them.  The DNG actually has this already built in.

Dan
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:59:31 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 01:27:46 AM »

Dan, the point of CM is to have pictures look the same in every step of the work-flow, not to get good-loking prints. Proofs are a remnant of printing days before computers, especially designed to show the client how the printed matter will look like. Hence my reluctance to take soft proofs or even Cibachrome proofs or desktop printer proofing serious - as long as it is not the same settings for the same machine with the same inks on the same paper proofs are only approximate. If it is only me, always on the same computer with the same monitor with the same printer, inks and paper for output calibration and profiling is unnecessary [though convenient], since CM is done by my brain and experience.

For the time being it looks like anybody interested in a CM'ed work-flow cannot use xMedia. And when I write 'for the time being' I mean 'for the foreseeable future' as my impression is that Expression Media is dead like the Dodo.

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 09:49:02 PM »

Dierk,

Yes I realize that is the point, but I typically don't concern myself with CM in my catalog manager.  An sRGB proof has been sufficient so far.  It would be a nice convenience to the workflow if it worked though.  I wouldn't have to create and catalog those sRGB proofs for my master files.  IDimager does have CM, but it has a few quirks that need to be ironed out; however, I've gotten it to work correctly for many of my layered master files.  Catalogs managers seem to have trouble generating the previews for certain layered master files though (e.g. those containing smart objects, alpha layers, LAB, etc.).  This problem persists even when I tell PS of maximize compatibility.  It may be a PS problem.

Dan
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:58:39 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 02:43:46 AM »

So what part of CM is not working?  Here's a test I just did:

http://www.accurateimage.org/gallery/em-cmtest.jpg

I took Atkinson's Lab test image, duplicated it and converted it to sRGB, ProPhoto and Adobe RGB version.  I saved each version as TIF, PSD and JPEG.  I also saved the original lab version in each of those file formats.  Only the LAB psd file caused a problem in EM.  All of the others display fine and look exactly the same... as they should.

I have always had problems with CMYK images in iView or EM but since those are always derivatives of properly displayed RGB versions so I just don't worry about it. Actually in an odd way it's kind of helpful.  If I see a thumbnail with really wacked color I know that's the CMYK version without looking at anything other metadata. Most of my CMYK images are untagged which adds to the problem with EM displaying them properly.  That's simply not a concern to me. 

Bob Smith
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 01:20:59 AM »

Which OS?

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 02:12:37 AM »

If you're asking about my test it was done using Mac OS 10.5.8.  Expression Media 2 with service pack 2 installed.  I've never experienced any CM issues with RGB files in any version going back to iView on much earlier Mac OS versions.  I've only used Expression Media briefly on Windows but I don't recall noticing a different behavior and one would think it would be painfully obvious if CM wasn't working.

Bob Smith
Absolute Chaos

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »

Robert (Chaos),
Are you working on a wide-gamut monitor?
Peter

No, Peter, I work on a 24" iMac.

The TIFF color management issue has been confirmed by Microsoft.

-Robert
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: