Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Future of Expression Media
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2019, 06:40:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Media Pro & Expression Media
| | |-+  Future of Expression Media
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Future of Expression Media  (Read 47706 times)
Warren_B

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:12:36 AM »

In case some folks missed it here's a post from the Microsoft Expression Media forums which may shed some light on the future of xMedia.

¬  ----

Where/when is version 3
Josh Weisberg

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:36 PM

Anita has forwarded me this thread and asked that we address some of the issues raised here. I appreciate the passion and enthusiasm that each of you has for Expression Media.

First I want to apologize for the seeming disappearance of Expression Media from our website. Microsoft decided to shift Expression Media from the Expression Studio in the v3 release due to the differences in the target markets (designers vs photographers), and we have moved the product information to our photography portal http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto. In the transition, we did not do a good job of redirecting customers from the Expression Studio pages to the photo portal -- something that we are correcting now.

Recently we released Expression Media 2 Service Pack 2, and we subsequently re-released it a month later to correct some bugs -- largely in part to the folks on this forum. In the last few months we have been working on our plans for the future of Expression Media. At this time I cannot share details of our plans, but we are actively working on the future of the product.

Microsoft will continue to provide support for Expression Media, and I want to thank Anita, JP, and Tom for their dedication to the product. They're some of the best support resources and customer advocates I've ever seen.

Please feel free to contact me with your questions, feedback, and frustrations.

Josh Weisberg
Director, Rich Media Group
Microsoft
joshwe@microsoft.com

¬  -----

Warren
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:31:46 AM »

Thanks for posting that, Warren. Hm, "continue to provide support for Expression Media" doesn't sound like a kiss of life, does it?

None of us knows anything more though!

John
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:37:20 AM »

Let's not be too hard, John, a sentence before that unfortunate phrase Mr Weisberg writes 'we are actively working on the future of the product'. Nevertheless, to parse a little more, to resort to the [botched] release of SP2, and to call it 'recent', is a not really building confidence. As isn't teh fact I have not seen anything of the well-known team originally based in London ...

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
billseymour

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:32:59 AM »

Well, I might as well pull out the much-abused John B. metaphor about DAM apps being like "serial monogamy", and apply that to John's comment about things not sounding like "the kiss of life":

Maybe... using a DAM app is like serial monogamy; and you know the relationship is in trouble when you go to kiss your partner, and all you get is a "kiss on the cheek".

(I have great respect for Microsoft overall, which is why EM *still* being problematic is so frustrating. I just don't get it.)
--Bill
Uli

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 06:54:35 AM »

Thanks for posting that, Warren. Hm, "continue to provide support for Expression Media" doesn't sound like a kiss of life, does it?
Right, John, at least the phrase "...but we are actively working on the future of the product...." sounds a bit more lively... This is an expression of HOPE.
Uli
cdubea

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 04:39:35 AM »

This is all well and good, but in my mind MS needs to send a much stronger signal to the users of XM.

Instead of the "we can't say any more" foolishness, how about a truly informative, "here's what in store for you" message?  Let's face it XM isn't exactly cutting edge technology any longer.  Most of us ath this point would be overjoyed if XM 3 did nothing more than fix some of the usability issues we now are facing from catalog size etc.  I absolutely love the interface, it's all I can do to put up with the glacial performance.

I spent a lot of time migrating my DAM from iMatch which is just the opposite.  Good performance, absolutely miserable interface.  iMatch's power comes from a very powerful scripting language that unfortunately has little means to be utilized in a streamlined fashion in the UI.  Hopefully I won't have to return to using iMatch.  It was always a struggle to make myself sit down to organize photos because I knew it was a multi-hour process.

Thanks,

chris

ShepFerg

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:18:26 AM »

Hi,
I lost my media pro in a computer failure and just went to buy another Expression "key." I went to the Microsoft photo pro site suggested by Josh Weisberg of Microsoft where I clicked button to purchase. This takes you back to the site where there is no sign of Expression. I use this program for work every day and don't have time to mess with this so I just re-installed iView which still works fine.
Not too much support out there for professional photographers. It even looks like Apple is dropping professionals - look at the connectivity they don't have on their new MacPros and desk tops....
Sheppard Ferguson
Doug

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 08:21:39 AM »

Let's keep our fingers crossed for Camera Bits (makers of Photo Mechanic) to release their long-awaited DAM app. In the meantime, I've just slowly and not-very-deliberately moved towards using Lightroom for nearly everything. I'm really pretty pleased with it despite its sloth in exporting and the non-exportability of Collections. I've been working setting up a DAM system for a client and reluctantly had them buy a couple copies of EM since, as we all here know its the best that is currently available, but we're holding off on more licenses knowing that a) EM may be doomed and b) competition is probably on the horizon.

-Doug
Paul_S

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 03:35:46 AM »

Let's not be too hard, John, a sentence before that unfortunate phrase Mr Weisberg writes 'we are actively working on the future of the product'

Dierk  I would have been happier to hear we are working on the next phase/ edition of EM rather than this corperate deflector language that could also mean working on our future plans to see if the EM product has a future in our plans!  Sad

vbuzzi

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 11:50:52 PM »

http://www.microsoft.com/Expression/products/Studio_Overview.aspx

There you can find the launch of Expression Studio 3.0 sadly I can't see EM...
Is that a bad signal?

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 11:53:58 PM »

No, Vittore, it just indicates you've overlooked an announcement that ExMedia isn't being included in Studio any longer but is independent of it. Which could be a good or a bad thing - only time will tell.

John
vbuzzi

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 04:46:25 AM »

Thanks John for all you do for the community. I really appreciate your scripts and you pictures too.

ralphpaonessa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 03:13:17 PM »

To me, an announcement of the release of EM 3 would be "good news," along with active solicitation of what we want in EM 4.

In this case, I think "no news is bad news." It says, "We're not attaching as much importance to this program as we are to others." Or, "We're having an internal debate about whether to dump this dog, and we'll get back to you ... someday."

It's just DAMN* annoying!

(* Digital Asset Management - Not)

Ralph Paonessa
RPPhoto.com
Dierk

149167100 Dierk54@Hotmail.com Evo2Me dhslowhand
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 02:51:49 PM »

If only to poke MS PR ...

There's more disheartening symptoms of MS having changed their stance towards image handling. for one, Mark Hamburg, as I just noticed today, is back with Adobe since this summer. My pet peeve, sync'ing Web forum with Usenet group, has still not been addressed; the support blog's last entry is dated 27th April [by good soul Anita Oakley]. Marketing for xMedia has all but ceased, and as long as nobody thinks 'surprise, surprise' is a good marketing strategy I don't see a new version of the program around the corner.

Probably time to say good-bye. We'll always have Paris ...

Dierk

IDimager on Windows XP/SP2; 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, loads of storage space.
Other: Nikon D2x, Nikon D200, Capture NX 2, Adobe Creative Suite 3
ralphpaonessa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »

... for one, Mark Hamburg, as I just noticed today, is back with Adobe since this summer ...

I might be foggy on the timing, but I thought that Microsoft purchased iView shortly after Tim Grey joined Microsoft, as part of a publicized push to bring Microsoft up to speed in the digital imaging world. Tim left MS some time ago, and I always wondered what that indicated about Microsoft and it's commitment to digital imaging going forward.

Why, O why doesn't Adobe step up to the plate with DAM?? They seem the most logical company to do so: they've got the imaging expertise, and it seems that an industrial-strength DAM app (capable of managing tens of thousands of images with more facility than Lightroom) could integrate well into their line. I can't believe they're not heading in that direction ...

As a side note, I've long thought that what photography needs is a really reliable source of inside dirt! It's too bad the Drudge Report isn't in our realm. Not that I'm much of an admirer -- I'd just like it if someone with RELIABLE inside information was keeping us informed. Of course, there are thousands of rumors on the web -- and a couple of them are true -- and you'll never know which ones until after the fact.

We need some good, reliable insider info!

Ralph Paonessa
RPPhoto.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: