The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 04:41:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  Comments about the book
| | |-+  Just bought DAM book 1st edition (grrrr...)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Just bought DAM book 1st edition (grrrr...)  (Read 4965 times)
Uli

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2009, 03:05:37 AM »

Peter,
I just bought the 1st edition of the DAM book in german. They haven't had Ed. 2 yet (of course not). My question to you: is there a fundamental change in how you do IAM or did you just add some things up? Before learning "the old stuff  Grin" would it be better to go directly with your new book because things changed a lot (systematics, structure etv.)? Should have visited your website earlier...
Nevertheless, Peter, a great product covering all aspects I'm intereseted in!! Thank you for your work.
Regards
Uli
PS: (the standard question in all resp. forums) any news on EM release 3??
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 12:02:19 PM »

Uli,
First, it's my understanding that there will not be a new german version, due to the extra page length of the new version.  If you read French, however, there will be one. I believe that there are several other foreign language versions under consideration.

If you are a Lightroom user, then the second book is much better, since it was not around when the first was written. The second book also adds a lot about backups and data validation, ingestion software, GPS data, parametric image editing, and more. Eventhe sections that cover the same material are largely rewritten.

But in most respects, the fundamentals are still the same.

No news on Expression Media.

Peter
Uli

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 06:49:24 AM »

Thanks, Peter, for your fast response. As I do not use LR (in fact I am using Capture ONE 4 for RAW development) I will first completely go thru your 1st edition (despite the fact I was born on the german-french border I can't really speak french Undecided). There is tons of material that needs to be investigated. As I am still using PS CS1 I have no BRIDGE application available, didn't see the necessity to upgrade. This will now - reading your workflow recommendations - probably change... THe DNG-format was a bit "unpredictable" for me. I actually converted hundreds of pictures months from my old Olympus C5050 ORF to DNG - just to see the color rendering completely change. But I will give it another try.
Once again thanks for the insights. Invaluable.
Uli
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 08:52:37 AM »

Uli,
You'll get a lot from the 1st edition, I think.
There is a probably a gap in your understanding about DNG that would be addressed by the seconf book, but there is a white paper I wrote for Adobe that may help your understanding.

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/non_destructive_imaging.pdf

Your English appears to be very good, so maybe that's a way to go eventually.
Peter
Uli

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 07:23:09 AM »

Peter, thanks for the link.
There is a probably a gap in your understanding about DNG
Obviously Wink Well, the problem I meant was the huge difference - even false colors - in the immediate rendering in CaptureOne when opening the files
a) as a original RAW ORF File and
b) as the converted DNG. Especially the blues were terrible. Well, having read your doc ("there is no objective picture rendering")) I will give it another thorough try and even compare Capture One with LR (it shouldn't make a difference even if the parameters will be not comparable). The preview in Olympus native RAW converter even matched Capture One pretty closely, so may be I expected all RAW converterrs interprete the camera metadata (as shot) very similar  for the initial  rendering preview in the RAW app. Well, that's what I beleived until yesterday...

Your English appears to be very good, so maybe that's a way to go eventually.
Peter
Thx, yep, evenm if it's not my mother tongue I speak and read regularly due to my job - in fact there's no deifference for me if it's english or german. So why didn't I order your english book? Didn't know about shipment from the U.S. and AMAZON had the german edition available in just a few days for me. Anyway, there is a lot of brilliant material out there that is only available in english (e.g. DAM book second edition Cheesy).
Once agin thanks for your support.
Uli
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 02:30:21 PM »

Uli,
I'm guessing that Capture 1 is not looking for the camera WB in the right place in the DNG, which would explain different initial renderings.
Peter
Uli

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »

That would explain a lot. I'll try to re-check.
Thanks
Uli
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: